A device which does not exist was specified

jpb71

I used Recuva to scan for image files on a hard drive with a bad block error (in an external port) and was presented with a list of about 94,000 files. I attempted to recover them to a folder on the desktop, but only the files under about 40kb were recovered (14,000). After the transfer, the other 80,000 were listed in a new window with the following error/reason for them not being recovered: A device which does not exist was specified.

In the original list of recognised files in the Recuva program, these files are described as in excellent condition, but the recovery function will not transfer them to the desktop folder.

How can I recover them?

I used Recuva to scan for image files on a hard drive (in an external port) with a bad block error and was presented with a list of about 94,000 files. I attempted to recover them to a folder on the desktop, but only the files under about 40kb were recovered (14,000). After the transfer, the other 80,000 were listed in a new window with the following error/reason for them not being recovered: A device which does not exist was specified.

In the original list of recognised files on the failed hard drive in the Recuva program, these files are described as in excellent condition, but the recovery function will not transfer them to the desktop folder. I have tried recovering just 13 of them, but even this small amount is met with the same error message and won't transfer.

How can I recover them?

• Moderators

Duplicate posts merged.

This is a user forum and so it may take a while until a user with the relevant knowledge or experience of your issue logs in and sees your question.
Please be patient.

If you prefer you can raise a ticket with the official support team using the form here and selecting Recuva as the product:
https://support.piriform.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=86507

Or you can send an email to support@ccleaner.com

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

1 hour ago, nukecad said:

Duplicate posts merged.

This is a user forum and so it may take a while until a user with the relevant knowledge or experience of your issue logs in and sees your question.
Please be patient.

If you prefer you can raise a ticket with the official support team using the form here and selecting Recuva as the product:
https://support.piriform.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=86507

Or you can send an email to support@ccleaner.com

Thanks very much for your response, nukecad. I didn't know which category of the forum was most suitable for this issue, hence I posted it twice.

Guest johnccleaner

Unfortunately, this means it is very likely that Recuva can't recover them.

In short, this would mean that what Recuva could find of these files was damaged. (Keep in mind that files are not typically single, monolithic entries but are broken up into multiple pieces.) As such, what Recuva could find then had a reference to another fragment of the file - but this fragment points to somewhere that doesn't exist (X: or some such).

This also seems quite likely given what you reported about very small files being able to be recovered; it's quite possible those were only in one fragment, so they couldn't become damaged in this way.

It is possible, though by no means certain, that a full drive recovery service may be able to recover some of these damaged files, but Recuva would not, as it doesn't have any way of finding the next part of the file being pointed to.

(It is odd that 80,000 files would all be damaged in this way, but not impossible.)

1 hour ago, johnccleaner said:

Unfortunately, this means it is very likely that Recuva can't recover them.

In short, this would mean that what Recuva could find of these files was damaged. (Keep in mind that files are not typically single, monolithic entries but are broken up into multiple pieces.) As such, what Recuva could find then had a reference to another fragment of the file - but this fragment points to somewhere that doesn't exist (X: or some such).

This also seems quite likely given what you reported about very small files being able to be recovered; it's quite possible those were only in one fragment, so they couldn't become damaged in this way.

It is possible, though by no means certain, that a full drive recovery service may be able to recover some of these damaged files, but Recuva would not, as it doesn't have any way of finding the next part of the file being pointed to.

(It is odd that 80,000 files would all be damaged in this way, but not impossible.)

Thanks for your response. The found files that are not being transferred are mostly indicated to be in excellent condition though.

Is it possible that with the free version there is a limited amount of data that can be transferred, and that's why the small files were chosen, as, combined, they were under the limit?

Guest johnccleaner

Nope. The free version and the paid version scan for and recover files in precisely the same way. (The paid version adds access to priority technical support, automatic updates, and the ability to generate and work with .VHD hard drive images, rather than changing how files are scanned for or recovered.)

Keep in mind that the Condition indicator is an estimate - it's the software's best guess as to the condition of the file based off the results of the scan. Just because something says it's in Excellent Condition does not guarantee that it can be recovered and used (though it's a good sign) - and something with Unrecoverable Condition is not guaranteed to be completely trashed, either.

17 minutes ago, johnccleaner said:

Nope. The free version and the paid version scan for and recover files in precisely the same way. (The paid version adds access to priority technical support, automatic updates, and the ability to generate and work with .VHD hard drive images, rather than changing how files are scanned for or recovered.)

Keep in mind that the Condition indicator is an estimate - it's the software's best guess as to the condition of the file based off the results of the scan. Just because something says it's in Excellent Condition does not guarantee that it can be recovered and used (though it's a good sign) - and something with Unrecoverable Condition is not guaranteed to be completely trashed, either.

Ah, thanks for the info.

In the meantime I have been trying with a program called Puran. It has found over 700,000 files. The transferring though is taking a very long time; about 3% in 6 hrs.

Also it has renamed all the files, which is okay for image files where there is a preview, but I will have to listen to all the audio files to rename them.

With the time this is taking I might abort the process and try an alternative software. I don't need software or Windows files, and there's no way of filtering them before transferring using Puran.

Guest johnccleaner

I've not used Puran, or I'd be happy to offer any advise I could in regards to filtering out unwanted files - I'd definitely keep it installed and handy, though, in case you're not having any luck with any alternative software that you try.

You're welcome to take a look here: https://www.lifewire.com/free-data-recovery-software-tools-2622893 to see if any of these will meet your needs.

15 minutes ago, johnccleaner said:

I've not used Puran, or I'd be happy to offer any advise I could in regards to filtering out unwanted files - I'd definitely keep it installed and handy, though, in case you're not having any luck with any alternative software that you try.

You're welcome to take a look here: https://www.lifewire.com/free-data-recovery-software-tools-2622893 to see if any of these will meet your needs.

Thanks! That's the web page where I found Puran ;)

I'll check some other options.