Which ones goes first ?

BigMart

• Moderators

It shouldn't make any difference at all which order you run them in.

Usually you use one or the other depending on your needs, and/or level of experience.

Remember that Health Check uses it's own rules and takes no notice whatsoever of what you have ticked/unticked in Custom Clean.

But I can see the point of sometimes running both.
I'll ocassionally run Health Check because I don't normally use Edge so don't have anything for it ticked in Custom Clean.
So if I have been using Edge I'll just run HC to clean it rather than ticking it in Custom Clean then unticking it again.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I have been using CC for years (free version) but just signed up for the Pro edition.

I always run both HC and CC (and any other options it will let me!).   I am really a novice at these sort of things.  I just follow the instructions !    I used to always run CC first, then HC, but lately I have reversed it.  I don't know why!

One thing I have found is if I remove the site data and disk space from Firefox and Thunderbird respectively from the browsers, it speeds up CC as there isn't so much to check.

One other thing.  Should I reboot after using CC ?

Thanks for your help.

• Moderators

That's up to you.

But a regular Restart (not Shutdown/Boot) is always a good idea with Win 10, because of the way that Win 10 works a 'Restart' refreshes more of the operating system than a Shutdown does.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators
4 hours ago, BigMart said:

Wow you are quick !   I am still peddling my way on Win 7 !!    Any special notes about that?

nah, it was just coincidence that I happened to logon at that time.

As it's Win7 then the Restart or Shutdown probably doesn't make the same difference, if I remember right they both do the same thing before Win10 (or was it 8.1?).

I don't think there is anything to add regarding Win7 that you probably haven't heard before.
ie. You should upgrade - but I know from experience that there are many reasons why you might want to stay with an EoL Windows.

I've still got Windows 98SE on a desktop machine, there is some expensive CAD software on it that you can't even buy outright now, only subscribe for a fortune each month/year.
I also used XP on a laptop for a number of years longer that I should have, couldn't justify the cost a new laptop. (until the old one died).

LOL  I hung on to my WinXP far longer than I should.   It was only when my mate was going to live in Australia he was clearing everything out of his house, including his old computer.   As Win7 was (slightly) newer than my one I took it. 

Like you if I wanted to get a new PC, I have software on here that I would need to move, let alone data.   I think I would have to take it to a shop to transfer everything across, safely, unless I can find a trusted mate who I know would be up to do it.

This machine does fail me at times.  Goes to 'not responding'  and have to wait for it to come back to life.   CCleaner does help, because it gets rid of a lot of the junk files that clutter up the machine.

• Moderators

You do know that if the machine is capable you can still upgrade Win7 (or 8.1) to Win10 for free? (or even Win11 if the machine is capable)
You have the option to keep your existing software and files during the upgrade process:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Even if it's not quite capable you can often still put Win10 on an old machine for minimal cost.

As an example of what can be done for £50 -
I got given an 'obsolete' laptop with XP Pro on it, it wasn't bad on XP but had only 1GB of RAM and a very slow 75GB spinning Hard Drive.
I first spent £20 upgrading the RAM to 4GB and then installed the latest Win10 21H2.
The Win 10 is unactivated, XP isn't eligible for the free upgrade to Win 10 and I wasn't paying £120 for a new Windows licence for an old machine.
(Unactivated Windows is almost the same as fully licenced Windows but the Personalisation settings don't work. There are easy ways round that).
It ran fine but was still slow so next I replaced the old/slow Hard Drive, I spent another £30 on a 250GB SSD for it.
Those two hardware upgrades, more RAM and a new SSD are both very easy to do, and either/both can dramaticaly improve performance.
It's now as good as my main laptop that I'm typing this on, in some ways it's better. And all for £50 and a bit of work.