File or Directory corrupt after running CCleaner

B Jones

Hi all, 

I can confirm this is an real, persistent, and probably more widespread issue.

I've been using CC Cleaner for years, love the product, and I just upgraded too. I have not experienced any issues with it until recently. 

Let me explain...

I noticed this issue two weeks ago after I tried to access FF and got a message: File or Directory corrupt etc. I ignored the error thinking it was limited to FF or something else. What was strange was the CC browser was now available and I had not elected to install it, so I began using it instead.

This week I tried to access other files and directories and I received the same error: File or Directory corrupt.

I performed the same diagnostic procedures discussed here in this forum: DSIM, SFC, Norton, Malwarebytes, etc. What led me to this forum was relating the appearance of the CC browser with the start of the issues and the appearance of CC in the Windows application logs.

Below is a list of files and directories that I can and can not access. Thank goodness I can still access Chrome and Brave browsers and most of my work is saved in the Cloud otherwise I would be FUBARRED. 

As a knowledge worker, I use and depend on my computer everyday and thankfully I have my files backed up to the Cloud. While I would like CC-Support to look into this issue I can't wait on there resolution because I use this computer everyday for work. Unfortunately, I need this issue resolved immediately and the quickest solution seems to be to reinstall Windows - sigh.

I probably will not (re)install CC Cleaner until I see this issue is resolved and will use Norton's Utilities inferior product instead.

Files and directories I can't access (this list is not exhaustive)

• Any office products: Outlook, Word, Excel, etc
  • Firefox
  • Dropbox
  • Turbotax

Files and directories I can access (this list is not exhaustive)

• Chrome
  • Brave
  • Notepad
  • Evernote
  • Todoist
  • Norton 360
  • Malwarebytes

Machine info

• Lenovo 11BH001WUM
  • Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-9100 CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHz
  • Win 11 pro
  • CC Cleaner v6.03.10002

Thanks,

Benny

Excel-Screenshot 2022-09-10 132029.jpg

FF-Screenshot 2022-09-10 131940.jpg

2-CC-Log-Error-Screenshot 2022-09-10 132215.jpg

2-CC-Profile-Error-Screenshot 2022-09-10 134113.jpg

CC-Profile-Error-Screenshot 2022-09-10 134113.jpg

Edited by B Jones

• Moderators

@B Jones Are you using Avira Free Security? - This thread is about a known issue with that particular antivirus app.

EDIT - This is a different issue so has now been split to it's own thread.

If you are not using Avira Free Security then you have a different issue, which will have a different solution.
(from your screenshots it may be a user permissions error?)

As said above the issue is known of executables becoming unusable if you use ANY cleaning utility (not just CCleaner) when you have installed installing or updated to to Avira Free Security Version 1.1.69.29688.

It is not something that CCleaner or any other cleaning utility can fix - only Avira can fix it.

If you are affected by it then you have 3 options:

1. Make the folder "C:\Windows\Temp\sentry_temp" an exception in CCleaner or whatever other cleaning utility you are using so that folder doesn't get cleared.
    or:
  2. Stop using Avira (uninstall) it); at least till Avira fix the problem.
    or:
  3. Stop using any junk file cleaner until Avira fix the problem.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

11 hours ago, nukecad said:

@B Jones Are you using Avira Free Security? - This thread is about a known issue with that particular antivirus app.

If you are not using Avira Free Security then you have a different issue, which will have a different solution.
(from your screenshots it may be a user permissions error?)

As said above the issue is known of executables becoming unusable if you use ANY cleaning utility (not just CCleaner) when you have installed installing or updated to to Avira Free Security Version 1.1.69.29688.

It is not something that CCleaner or any other cleaning utility can fix - only Avira can fix it.

If you are affected by it then you have 3 options:

1. Make the folder "C:\Windows\Temp\sentry_temp" an exception in CCleaner or whatever other cleaning utility you are using so that folder doesn't get cleared.
    or:
  2. Stop using Avira (uninstall) it); at least till Avira fix the problem.
    or:
  3. Stop using any junk file cleaner until Avira fix the problem.

@nukecad

Thanks for the reply.

Per my above post, I am using Norton360.

After reinstalling Windows 11 without CC, I was able to reinstall all applications affected (MS Office, FF, etc.) without incident.

The solution above wouldn't have been able to help with the errors I was receiving (see screenshots above: File or Directory corrupt).

As stated above, I am a digital worker working from home and I need Office and browsers to work everyday. Unfortunately, I'll have to remove CC from my Windows maintenance routine for now. I am still using CC on my Mac for now.

I'll continue to monitor this forum for any updates.

Thanks,

Benny

• Moderators
5 hours ago, B Jones said:

@nukecad

Thanks for the reply.

Per my above post, I am using Norton360.

After reinstalling Windows 11 without CC, I was able to reinstall all applications affected (MS Office, FF, etc.) without incident.

The solution above wouldn't have been able to help with the errors I was receiving (see screenshots above: File or Directory corrupt).

As stated above, I am a digital worker working from home and I need Office and browsers to work everyday. Unfortunately, I'll have to remove CC from my Windows maintenance routine for now. I am still using CC on my Mac for now.

I'll continue to monitor this forum for any updates.

Thanks,

Benny

Wow ok so i just read your terible (should not happen and I'm sorry that it did) post.  But you did, in all your details, leave out what exactly you did in ccleaner. The behavior you described cannot (should not, rather) happen in a default state custom clean. When you used ccleaner what features did you use (performance optimizer, driver updater, health check, registry, any combo).

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

@B Jones As you are not using Avira then I have split your issue into it's own thread. (To avoid any confusion in that Avira thread).

It does sound more as if yours is/was a file system corruption problem and reinstalling Windows 11 should have corrected any corrupted system files.

There is also a possibility that it may be a fault with the hard drive, so I would suggest that you run the built in diagnostic tool CHKDSK.
You may also want to double check the system files by running SFC, and maybe DISM.

For safety you should make a backup of your files before runnning the diagnostics.

This explains what each of these 3 diagnostic tools do, and gives a step-by-step if you are not familiar with them, it was written for Win 10 but they are the same in Win 11:
https://www.makeuseof.com/difference-between-chkdsk-sfc-and-dism-in-windows-10/

Note that most such guides suggest running SFC first ,and only using DISM if you have to.
As you have only just reinstalled Win 11 then DISM is probably not necessary.
Many techies though always run DISM first to make sure that SFC is using a valid system image, of course doing it that way round does take longer.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043