Serious Bug in latest CCleaner Free Version

UKSparky

For some days now, ive been trying to work out why Windows Search on my Win11 laptop wouldn't start with "Error 15, could not find destination." At first I believed it to be core isolation which was causing the problem, as disabling it seemed to allow the search service to start correctly on boot. However, I had to choose between one or the other. I started uninstalliing programs one by one in order to locate the issue. Low and behold as soon as i uninstalled CCleaner the problem vanished and i could use both core isolation (a security feature) and windows search. I also did not have smart cleaning enabled, or allow CCleaner to start with Windows....

Ive used CCleaner for years up until now. Can anyone shed any light on the issue please?

• Moderators

Are you using the winapp2.ini community file that adds many additional cleaning routines into CCleaner? If so disabling it may fix the issue.

Check in Windows built-in Event Viewer to see if it's logging errors with Windows Search. Event Viewer is what clued me in on it being caused by an entry in the winapp2.ini community file which CCleaner can use, it was causing it by allowing CCleaner to delete too much. Once I removed the entries causing it from my copy of winapp2.ini I can safely clean Windows Search ("MS Search") (in Win10 at least) without issues.