Temp folder regularly spammed by 1 Gb of files

Gilles92

CCleaner regularly pushes 512.77 Nvidia Driver files into the temporary folder, regardless of the version already installed: from 511.79, I used CCleaner to update to 516.94, then back to 511.79 which behaves better. To make sure I get a clean revert, I use DDU from Wagnardsoft.

I'm pretty sure CCleaner is the main cause: I used procmon from sysinternal tools to discover that CCleaner has pushed all the files into the Temp folder. I don't understand why 512.77 version is pushed, as it is not the latest NVidia driver.

The issue is minor to me, but the space taken up by these temporary files is up to 1GB, which could cause premature wear and tear on the SSD, in addition to the lost space.

• C:\Program Files\CCleaner\Data\DUState.dat
  • C:\Program Files\CCleaner\LOG\DriverUpdaterLib.log
  • but I have not found any C:\Windows\INF\setupapi.dev.log

DriverUpdaterLib.zip DUState.zip

Guest MeganCCleaner

Hi @Gilles92 Thanks for providing the log files, along with the detailed report of your issue.

I'm not yet certain of why CCleaner would be creating temp files for v512.77 of the GeForce Game Ready Driver when considering how it actually installs the v516.94 update so I've reported this issue to our development team and I'll follow-up with you on this as soon as possible.

Meanwhile, in regards to the SSD write-cycle limitation concern, I wonder if a viable workaround would be for you to change the environmental variable of the Temp folder to a non-SSD drive, as described at https://stackhowto.com/how-to-change-temp-folder-location-in-windows-10/

Hello,

I restarted procmon to see what was going on. I can say that the "NVIDIA_NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti_30.0.15.1277.zip" archive comes from the "C:\Program FilesCCleaner\Data\BackupStorage" folder and that CCleaner reads it to unpack the files in the Temp directory in order to prepare for a possible update. After that, CCleaner seems to read the registry about the installed devices. I think the version test is done afterwards, but the Temp directory is not processed anymore and the driver files remain in place.

Anyway, there is already 1.23 GB archived in the "BackupStorage" folder. Does CCleaner process the cleaning of these archives? I already have two Nvidia driver archives: 
NVIDIA_NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti_30.0.15.1215.zip and
NVIDIA_NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti_30.0.15.1277.zip.

So the place used on the SSD for that if 1,23 GB + 1 more GB at least, hence 2,25 GB.

CCleaner seems to me to be a big space eater instead of a space recovery application. Wasn't that its original purpose?

Edited by Gilles92

Ok, I wonder if this is correct, but I manually deleted these 2 NVIDIA archives in the "BackupStorage" folder. I did another scan and updated the Nvidia high definition audio driver 1.3.39.4. CCleaner performed the update, but did not save it: I still see the 1.3.39.3 archive in the "BackupStorage" folder. Anyway, CCleaner still offers version 516.93 and not 516.94 from the Nvidia Geforce site for the video driver, but it doesn't seem to download a Nvidia driver again for the moment.

The "BackupStorage" folder is now 2.4 MB, which is more reasonable.

If I summarize, it seems to me that CCleaner has the following small problems:
- Archiving of one or more driver versions not installed on the system,
- Picking up a driver that has nothing to do with the user's choice or even CCleaner's proposal,
- Deploying an archive that is then abandoned during processing,
- Not cleaning several different backed up versions of the video driver.

Edited by Gilles92