Why is Ccleaner invoking Windows Restart Manager on each clean

bazzaman

I'm using Ccleaner (Free), latest version.

Whist browsing through Windows Event Viewer (Windows Logs, Application) I noticed a huge number of events (10000 & 10001) for Restart Manager.

Having investigated further I see that these occur (typically two or three of each of 10000 & 10001) whenever I invoke Ccleaner to do a standard cleaning pass. Further investigation shows that this has been happening since I upgraded to Windows 10 21H2 (which I did in January this year).

I can't be certain that all of these events relate to use of Ccleaner, but I suspect that they are. They make up about 25% of the events in the Application log.

Any explanations as to what is going on (and, in particular, should it be happening)?

• Moderators

I believe (think) that it is related to CCleaner (or some other app) checking for updates.

Do you have automatic updates, or notification of updates turned on?

I think that if you have them turned on then when an app checks for an update the Windows Restart Manager fires up (10000) to check if any update that does get installed needs a Windows Restart, if not, or if there is no update, then Restart Manager closes again (10001).

As I say that's my take on  how Restart Manager works, although I suspect  that it may not be that  simple - if anyone else knows any more about it please chime in.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thanks for the replies.

I don't have Ccleaner set-up to auto-update (quite the opposite - including disabling the Ccleaner Update scheduled task, as well as unchecking "Keep Ccleaner updated automatically" and "Send notifications when there is a new version of CCleaner").

It is not launching Ccleaner that gives the issue, but seemingly only running the main cleaning function - either just "Analyze" or "Run Cleaner" (or running ccleane64.exe /auto) .

By contrast, doing a Registry scan / clean-up does not invoke the Restart Manager. I've not tried any of functions under Tools as these are not capabilities that I use at all.

I find it perplexing that running these cleaning functions should cause this effect - is there any meaningful explanation as to why this is occurring?

• Moderators

The Restart Manager is a Windows System function.

As such I guess only Microsoft could say just what triggers it in any situation, I've never seen any clear explanation from them.

It is know that Restart Manager can be 'buggy', - but if the only result of such a bug is extra entries in Event Viewer then it's not going to be a priority for MS to fix.
Some minor Windows bugs like that have been known about for years, there doesn't seem to be any intention to fix them.

Lets face it how many everyday computer users even know Event Viewer is there, let alone ever look at it?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043