Driver updates struggle

spade

I got an old small laptop with Windows 8.1 Pro, which ist perfect for travel and to show presentations with. For that, it does all I need.

When connected to a LAN, in the past it was always very busy, trying to update things. With CCleaner this was very much reduced, but there are some drivers, which it does get updated. First, it sees only five which need to be updated, but can't:

image.png.bc7d6c7d170a3f52794372c393ffa120.png

image.png.848b3a2eb6155b90b6ab7ad768db3143.png

and then suddenly it sees 12:

image.png.74ef856393a38ec8b1a0141ab1c49603.png

When I try to get them all updated, it takes hours and nothing seems to happen. When select just one, after more then 10 minutes I get the message, it can't update that driver:
image.png.6cb242edfdc53329e613bdf2ef509872.png

How do I go about this? I don't want the system forever to try updating these drivers in the background, while there is no chance to get it done.

Helpful advice is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Frank

• 2 weeks later...
Guest johnccleaner

Just to clarify - CCleaner does not, in any way, attempt to update your drivers or other software unless you specifically tell it to.

(CCleaner will, by default, check for updates to itself and install them in the background, but that's it. Software Updater can run from Health Check or Tools > Software Updater, Driver Updater from the Driver Updater item, but they will not attempt to download or apply updates by themselves.)

Regarding the drivers, you might check the website of the computer's manufacturer and seeing if they offer these drivers for manual download; if so, you can try that way. Either they'll install, or they might give you an error message that would help point to the cause of the problem with installing them automatically.

You can also contact our support team via the Contact Us form located here: https://support.piriform.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=86507 or by emailing support@ccleaner.com directly and we'll be happy to let you know what logs and other data would be useful in investigating the issue. (You may want to try installing the drivers manually first so you can send along any errors that might be occurring, too.)

Thanks, I had asked CCleaner to update the drivers. Surprisingly it changes its results: first saying all is updated and after checking it says there are several drivers who needs updates, but can't fix it. I have tried installing one myself, but without success. I'll try the others and then contact support.