Can you repair recovered files?

botsch

Hallo! I accidentally deleted a folder with *.avi and *.mov and *.txt files from my SSD. The program recovered 100% of the files. The "txt" files are fine, all the video files are corrupted.  I used the program right after deleting the files and used another drive to recover the files. Unfortunately, I didn't notice that these recovered files don't work and I already burned other data to this drive. Is it possible to repair these files?
I tried the program: "Wondershare Repairitbut" it didn't work...😧

• Moderators

Some users have reported varying sucess wiith Irfanview on corrupted video files.

Whilst not a repair tool (its a veiwer) it can often open image/video files that other apps can't, and then you can resave them which can fix the file header.

No guarantees of course, but as it's free then it's worth a try: https://www.irfanview.com/

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

It's an SSD. I assume the txt files are small so are held completely within the MFT and are thus recoverable. The other files will have an entry in the MFT which despite being flagged as deleted will contain the addresses of the data clusters, or pages, on the SSD. However pages on an SSD are TRIMed on deletion, so what you are recovering is data full of zeroes. There is no possibility of recovering these files. Assuming a Windows pc/laptop of course.

• Moderators

Oops, I hadn't noticed that it was a SSD.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

All the file titles were correct and it looked like the program had recovered them, which was very confusing. The program should detect the type of disk it is recovering files from and display a warning accordingly. Thanks for the clarification!

• Moderators

Like everything, there are exceptions to the rule.

TRIM is a Windows feature

TRIM is only enabled on NTFS file systems, not FAT or exFAT etc

Old versions of Windows don't support TRIM

Older SSDs may not support TRIM

SSDs may have TRIM disabled (rare)

TRIM may be disabled in NTFS (rare)

TRIM may not be actioned across USB ports

Some small files (under 700 bytes) may be held entirely in the MFT and can be recovered

So whilst the vast majority of modernish Windows systems with SSDs will use NTFS and have TRIM enabled (and recovery is therefore extremely unlikely), a few will slip through the net.

• Moderators

And of course there is also a very slight chance that you notice the delete mistake and manage to do a recovery before a TRIM has been carried out.

That will depend partly on your Windows optimisation settings.

eg. Although scheduled for a weekly analysis this particular laptop SSD has not been retrimmed for 15 days, so some recovery of accidentally deleted files from the last 15 days might be possible:

image.png

• Moderators

TRIM commands are issued at the time of file deletion, and are pretty much instantaneous, so it's really too late to stop or reverse anything. TRIM commands however are asynchronous and go to a low-priority queue, and if there's a lot of other activity on the device some commands may be dropped. The regular ReTRIM run by the Storage Optmizer is to mop up any dropped TRIM commands. It runs at a granularity such that no ReTRIM command will be dropped.

I've never noticed personally any TRIM commands being dropped, but I've never looked for any. In the end the general rule is there's next to no chance of recovering a deleted file on an SSD.

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Augeas said:

In the end the general rule is there's next to no chance of recovering a deleted file on an SSD.

Agreed that that has to be the general advice - with a very few exceptions as you already noted.