Removal of registry files

I have removed a flight simulator program from my computer.  I have also removed every instance of the program executable in the registry which I thought would highlight all other program files such as  scenery, texture etc. to be identified by CCleaner as obsolete.

However there still remains thousands of scenery and other files in the registry which CCleaner doesn't appear to pick up on and flag for deletion.

What is the criteria that CCleaner needs to be able to identify unneeded files.

• Moderators

How did your "remove" the flight sim? Did you use the filght sim's own uninstaller?

CCleaner checks for known locations, and certain filetypes within those locations that can be safely removed.
It has no way of knowing where or what your filight sim's files and file locations are/were so won't touch them.

The flight sim's own uninstaller should know where/what they are and remove them when run.

If you didn't use the flight sim's own uninstaller then reinstalling it and unistalling using that should remove the 'extras'.

A programme such as Revo Uninstaller is also a good tool for uninstalling things and removing any leftovers following that uninstall.

PS. Leftover registry entries are not a problem.
They don't do anything, they don't take up any noticable space, they can be simply ignored.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Nukecad

Thanks for your reply.

The sim was removed properly using the uninstall option within the program itself so I would have thought that would be sufficient to clear all files, but unfortunately not.

I know unneeded registry files don't pose any problem, but if they were associated with an uninstalled program CCleaner would pick this up and highlight them for removal.

Ron

• Moderators

As said if it's just the registry enties that are left behind they are not a problem, but I too would have thought the reg cleaner would have picked up any truly 'orphaned' entries.
So It's probably seeing them as still being used/referred to by 'something'.

Have you checked if the scenery etc. files they refer to are still there?
Or possibly the folders that they were in, some uninstallers do leave files or empty folders behind, espicially things like addons or extras to the basic app.
(That's one reason why I use Revo to uninstall things these days, it can clear up stuff like that, as well as left over reg entries).

It's also possible that somewhere in Windows there is something like a file association set up which still refers internally to the reg entry(ies).
ie. You can get 'circular' reg entries like that where one is referred to by the other, so CCleaner would see them as still being used by 'something'.
Those are much harder to track down.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043