JLS

CCleaner skipping Explorer MRU when enabled

Ccleaner was working great.

A popup saying “Do not show me this message again.”

I clicked OK, after that CCleaner did not clean explorer MRUs

How can this be corrected ?

Win10-64

Custom Clean

CCleaner skipped other Explorer MRUs ("most recent used")

INI File

C:\Program Files\CCleaner (App)Other Explorer MRUs=True

Thanks

JLS

• Moderators

“Do not show me this message again.” and a tickbox is only the last part of the message, it's shown on various pop-ups.

Was it saying that MRS's were still in use and asking you if you wanted to close them?
or was it saying something else?

When you tell CCleaner to ignore future pop-ups about something then in future if it can't clean whatever it is (usually because it's in use) it will just skip whatever it is without asking you again.

Try looking in your ini for a section like this:

image.png

and if there is a 'Show###Warning=False' for Explorer MRU's (sorry I'm not sure what it would be called if there is one there) then change it to True to get the warning back.

For example, the one I have there for Firefox is because I told CCleaner not to show a pop-up again if Firefox is still open, so now if Firefox is open it just skips it without asking me.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

i am not an expert. i could be wrong, but i think that, in the past, when i would enable "clean other explorer MRUs," a warning message would pop up, saying that the computer would have to be restarted in order for the cleaning to take effect, or something like that. i am not seeing that, now, when i enable "clean other explorer MRUs," so something is different, there.

because of the warning message, saying that the computer would have to be restarted, or something like that, i always have left "clean other explorer MRUs" disabled.

i don't have ccleaner set to use an ini file. i just use the normal settings.

nukecad, i saw where you said, recently, that you tested some things, using older versions of ccleaner.

for testing, you could run an old version of ccleaner and enable "clean other explorer MRUs" and see if a warning message doesn't pop up, saying that the computer will have to be restarted in order for the cleaning to take effect, or something like that.

• Moderators

Why would I do that? (I don't let File Explorer keep recently used lists anyway, so I'd have to enable that as well).

I'll take your word that you got such a restart message in the past.

I can't remember if CCleaner used to do that? but it may have done because sometimes to change things in File Explorer then you have to stop and restart it, they can't be changed while it's still running. An easy way of doing that is by restarting your computer, but there are other ways and obviously CCleaner is now using one of those.

In any case the OP here doesn't mention such a such a restart message.
I believe that it was this one:
Capture.JPG

The 'issue' here is simply that after clicking not to show the message again it will do exactly that and not show the message again.

Without a message you can't say Yes or No, and so CCleaner just skips cleaning it.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

On 23/05/2022 at 09:42, nukecad said:

Why would I do that?

the reason that i asked you to test to see if a warning message popped up when enabling "clean other explorer MRUs" was to confirm that that was what normally happens.

incidentally, the OP did mention the warning message where they said that they checked the box for "do not show me this message again." apparently the warning message popped up, for them.

on my computer, with ccleaner build 6.00.9727, when i enable "clean other explorer MRUs," the warning message, saying "windows explorer needs to be closed to clean other explorer MRUs," is not popping up. this seems to be a bug, a new bug.

JLS said that MRUs weren't being cleaned. i considered that maybe the two were related, that maybe the reason i was not seeing a warning message saying that explorer must be closed, when cleaning MRUs, was because MRUs were not being cleaned.

• Moderators

the OP did mention the warning message where they said that they checked the box for "do not show me this message again." apparently the warning message popped up, for them.

The warning message that the OP got about Explorer MRUs was the one I screen-shotted in my last post.
Nothing was mentioned about a 'Restart' message until you mentioned it yourself.

on my computer, with ccleaner build 6.00.9727, when i enable "clean other explorer MRUs," the warning message, saying "windows explorer needs to be closed to clean other explorer MRUs," is not popping up. this seems to be a bug.

You will only see that message if you have some other MRUs to be cleaned, and if have Custom Clean set to clean them, and if Explorer needs to be closed to clean them, and if you haven't previously told Custom Clean not to show the message again.
It takes all 4 of those conditions to be met before you will see that message.

Incidentally, that screenshot above was taken from this laptop on Monday minutes before I posted it, so yes the warning is working as it should if all 4 conditions are met.

1 hour ago, nukecad said:

You will only see that message if you have some other MRUs to be cleaned, and if have Custom Clean set to clean them, and if Explorer needs to be closed to clean them, and if you haven't previously told Custom Clean not to show the message again.
It takes all 4 of those conditions to be met before you will see that message.

i think you are wrong, that the warning message pops up when one ticks the box to enable "clean other explorer MRUs."

since you say that you are not seeing the same problem that i am, my guess is that that is because something carried over from an earlier version of ccleaner, which functioned properly, due to your updating ccleaner as opposed to doing a clean install of ccleaner build 6.00.9727.

i think that, if you did a clean install of ccleaner build 6.00.9727, you would see the same problem that i am where the warning message, saying "windows explorer must be closed to clean the other explorer MRUs," is not popping up as it should, when ticking the box to enable "clean other explorer MRUs."

• Moderators

I don't know how I can explain it any more clearly than I did above.

All 4 conditions must be met for the message to pop up, if any single one of them isn't met then it won't show.

And v6.00.9727 on my machines are clean installs not updates, I never update I always do a new install.
(Unless for some reason I'm testing the update function itself).

In fact I do more clean installs than most users as I'm regularly changing settings, etc. and often installing/uninstalling different versions to check out things that are brought up on this forum.
Once I've finished testing I'll do a clean install of the current version and apply my regular settings.

Cleaning of 'Other Explorer MRUs'  is behaving exactly as I described above on both of my laptops, how do you think I got that screenshot?

Nukecad, thank you for you help with restoring the MRUs.

I did change two values in the INRs.

changes
ShowWindowsExplorerCleanWarning=false > ShowWindowsExplorerCleanWarning=true

ShowCleanWarning=False > ShowCleanWarning=true

Thanks to all for your commentes

JLS

• Moderators

Your first change should have done the job for the specific  "other MRU's" message so that it now shows again when needed.

The second one you changed (ShowCleanWarning) is for the message that pops up each and every time you do a Custom Clean.