CCleaner GUI takes too long to Launch ? Try This ! [fixed in 6.01]

SelflessWon

Recently I have noticed that CCleaner takes too long to Launch the " General Users Interface " even though it starts and runs on Windows 10 startup fine .

So I searched the File Location and found a Folder called " BackupStorage "  ( Program Files\CCleaner\Data\BackupStorage )

This folder holds Compressed data like Realtek Audio or NVIDIA Drivers .

I had 3 old compressed version of NVIDIA Drivers . Around 1gb

I removed them .

Now CCleaners GUI pops up right away .

Hope this helps CCleaner Team to make an Update to fix this bug .

Edited by SelflessWon

• Moderators

I've drawn the developers' eye to this topic

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Admin

@SelflessWon: Thanks for this - this sort of detail is extremely valuable. 

The CCleaner\Data\BackupStorage folder stores the backups of old drivers that you have updated to enable rollback, eg:

image.png

1GB for 3 files seems rather high - which all other factors aside might point to something afoot with the driver files provided by NVIDIA.  No, I just checked and NVIDIA's distributables really are that big!

When CCleaner loads, it needs to know the most recent state of what has been updated/still needs to be updated/is still pending a reboot/etc, but shouldn't need to actually load up the files in that directory unless you're actually doing a rollback - in theory. My CCleaner is cheerfully starting up in just a couple of seconds on a heavily loaded system, but then again I don't have mammoth NVIDIA backups in my directory.

This seems like a promising lead and the Dev/QA team will be taking a look at replicating the scenario you describe.  In the meantime, can I ask if you recall the size of your CCleaner\Data\DUstate.dat file at the time?  Should have been < 1Mb?

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

• 2 weeks later...

ok.  Found the "backupstorage" and yes, there are over 15 Realtek and Nvidia files there.  I transferred all of them to a desktop folder, opened Ccleaner and it did so immediately.  So I put the files back in the backupstorage, opened Ccleaner and it again opened immediately.  So no difference with or without the files but Ccleaner now opens as fast as normal.  Got me baffled now.  Thanks for the help!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Dave CCleaner changed the title to CCleaner GUI takes too long to Launch ? Try This ! [fixed in 6.01]
  • Admin

Note that this has been fixed in CCleaner 6.01:

That should solve this issue for most/all users.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

• 1 month later...