Are These New Features Wanted ?

Michael88

I use ccleaner free in basic mode. I am however concerned that ccleaner is trying to do too much.

Most people want a basic thorough cleaner and thats it !

I think ccleaner belongs to the stable of "Jack of all Trades and Master of none"

There is a web browser out there (not ccleaner related)  that is always adding features that I personally would never use , Ccleaner IMO is becoming like that.

• 2 weeks later...

After Avast acquired Piriform, Ccleaner has become bloatware. To me as a loyal Ccleaner user for more than 10 years, all these driver updaters, optimizers and other bullshits seem completely unacceptable and unnecessary. What I am most disgusted about is that these "features" can't be turned off.

• Admin
On 12/05/2022 at 20:03, Michael88 said:

I use ccleaner free in basic mode. I am however concerned that ccleaner is trying to do too much.

Aside from the ongoing expansion of app cleaning rules, the additions to the free version over the past couple of years such additional language support, improved accessibility, and the options for simplified one-click cleaning, automatic updates (formerly a paid-only feature), and silencing the update offers and upsell messages were all added due to popular demand from our free user base.

Given the large number of features already given away for free, and our commitment to keeping them that way, Piriform's paying customers for CCleaner Professional quite reasonably expect us to deliver more added value for their money - so we asked them what they wanted and we gave it to them.  Some of the requests (blocking new forms of online tracking, IP address hiding via VPN, website ad blocking, etc) didn't fit in well to CCleaner itself, and so have been spun out into separate products.

CCleaner has an active user base larger than the population of most countries, and everyone has different needs.  As a multi-function toolbox, we don't expect every user to regularly use every feature of CCleaner.  But they are there for those who need them.

2 hours ago, ferums said:

After Avast acquired Piriform ...

As per the above, I would note that Avast does not set Piriform's product roadmap - Piriform's customers do.  Perhaps not always as quickly as everyone would like, admittedly, but that is nevertheless where our direction comes from.  And certainly not from someone arbitrarily deciding to build things for their own amusement. 

2 hours ago, ferums said:

these "features" can't be turned off.

Automatic updates can be switched off via the Options > Updates menu.  Smart Cleaning can be switched off (or have its level of activity configured) via Options > Smart Cleaning.

Other features such as Driver Updater, Duplicate Finder, Drive Wiper, Performance Optimizer, etc aren't ever "on" per se - they are just menu options that you can use or not use as you see fit.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

• 4 weeks later...

It would be good if features not used could be hidden and the ccleaner window adjustable to take into account display settings. For example I only use the cleaning function and registry cleaner so the rest is just bloat taking up space in the side menu for me personally.