Duplicate Finder - Not finding Duplicates

Nick3475

Sorry if this has been posted in the wrong area. I've found a lot of duplicates and removed them using CCleaner for Windows on a Laptop. Nothing else was getting returned as a duplicate so I thought they'd all been dealt with but I've found some myself manually. I've checked and:

-The filename matches

-The filetype matches

-The files are both within the folder structure I'm searching.

-They're slightly different sizes but all I'm searching by is filename.

Does anyone know why it wouldn't find these duplicate files?

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Nick3475 said:

....... all I'm searching by is filename.

Does anyone know why it wouldn't find these duplicate files?

Look at the ignores, particularly file size over/under.

Check the wildcards in the search strings in Include.

Check if you have any Excludes set.

If you post a screenshot of your finder settings then we may be able to spot anything that could be an issue.

Can you give the FULL pathname/filename.extension for 2 that you think are duplicates but that aren't being found.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

3 hours ago, nukecad said:

Look at the ignores, particularly file size over/under.

Check the wildcards in the search strings in Include.

Check if you have any Excludes set.

If you post a screenshot of your finder settings then we may be able to spot anything that could be an issue.

Can you give the FULL pathname/filename.extension for 2 that you think are duplicates but that aren't being found.

It was the Excludes. I excluded some filepaths in a previous search (whilst actually selecting files to delete) and didn't realise they stayed as an "Exclude" for subsequent searches. I thought I'd have to set them PRIOR to running the search to make them stay for subsequent searches but hey ho. Thanks for responding!

• Moderators

I know just what you mean; when I was checking mine I had 3 paths excluded and have no recollection of just when or why I set them.

They are not places I'd usually be looking at for duplicates anyway, (one of them contains the manual/files for this laptop), so however long they had been set there it hadn't affected any recent searches.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043