Recovering Windows Files When You Upgrade Your Computer

ZOOM45

I had purchased a Windows 7 Computer about 8 years go and about three years ago, I upgraded the PC to Windows 10 using a direct download. Are the Windows 7 files that were present on the original PC (when new) recoverable?? If so, how do I go about recovering those Windows 7 OS files?

• Moderators

After three years it's doubtful that any data would be retrievable much less os files

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

When you upgraded from 7 to 10 Windows would have kept the old Win 7 OS files for 30 days (so that you could roll-back if you didn't like Win 10).
After those 30 Days Windows would/should have automatically removed the old OS files.

3 years on with multiple updates to Win 10, and writes/deletes of other things, there is very little chance that even forensic recovery could get any of those Win 7 OS files back.

Why are you wanting to do this?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

11 hours ago, nukecad said:

When you upgraded from 7 to 10 Windows would have kept the old Win 7 OS files for 30 days (so that you could roll-back if you didn't like Win 10).
After those 30 Days Windows would/should have automatically removed the old OS files.

3 years on with multiple updates to Win 10, and writes/deletes of other things, there is very little chance that even forensic recovery could get any of those Win 7 OS files back.

Why are you wanting to do this?

I'm so glad you asked that question because from replies to my question, my situation seems dire. I purchased some CD-burning software several years ago that is the best CD-burning software I have experienced; I have tried approx. eight other pieces of CD-burning software and nothing else comes close to meeting my CD-burning expectations. A few years ago, the software company made their CD-burning software free; unfortunately, the software does not work with Windows 10 or 11.

I was given a Windows XP laptop that I am trying to upgrade to a Windows 7 laptop. The only hang-up now is I am not going to pay for another product key. That is why I

asked the question I asked. I planned on using the laptop solely for burning CDs.

• Moderators

I think that the idea that you could recover Win 7 system files and then somehow use them to upgrade your system is disingenuous, to be polite. Even if the files could be recovered (how many are there, 10K+?) then they don't make an install package, and how are you going to reconcile the registry and volume boot record, to name but two, the operating system loader and who knows what else?

Doesn't the cd burner work on XP?

Or just type win 7 install iso into google. It's available free of charge.

Or buy licence for around £5.

• Moderators

unfortunately, the software does not work with Windows 10 or 11.

Can you not simply run the app in 'Compatibility Mode' for Win7 ?

On your Win 10 machine:
Install the software.
Right-Click on the installed app and select 'Properties'.
Go to the 'Compatibilty' tab and set it to run the app in Win 7 mode.
(Or try the compatibility troubleshooter).
image.png

Try it on a Win 10 laptop first, and if it's successful you won't need the XP laptop.
(Or you could update the XP laptop to Win 10. I did one a few months ago and it runs fine. You may need to buy more RAM for it but RAM is cheap enough).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043