Defrag a 4TB HDD drive taking time.

Guelphite

I am also having issues with a 4 TB drive which is half full. I thought I owned it but do not have a registration # (may of lost it during my last crash while backing up.

Anyways, I did go online and selected the 'Stop VSS when defragmenting NTFS volume' but right this second, the software is stating that it's going to take 20 hours and 10 minutes to complete the job.

Maybe it's due to the inability to update the software and I do not own it, it makes me skiddish to purchase it due to these issues.

Defraggler_image_2.thumb.jpg.68ca8d450771f434ffd8c32333438800.jpg

• Moderators

Hi @Guelphite

I have split your question into it's own thread.

It's best to start your own thread rather than tagging on to someone elses', especially if that existing thread is still active.
When you have two people asking questions on the same thread it can get confusing knowing who is answering which person.

Your drive:
A 4TB HDD is going to take a long time to do a full Defrag.
It's just one of those things, the bigger the drive the longer a full defrag will take.

The fragmented files themselves seem to be quite large as well, 31 files in 1.3 TB so an average of 42 GB each (I assume they are all MP4 files), and they are in a lot of fragments.
So there is a lot of work to be done to defragment this drive.

The estimate of how long it will take may be about right, but personally I don't take too much notice of those guestimates of how long it will take, they can be out by a long way and suddenly change up or down.
It's the same with anything that shows an estimated time  remaining.

You can Stop the defrag and go back to it later, but when you restart it will have to look at the whole drive again and so will probably say about the same 20 hours. it's a gustimate.
If you do want to stop it then do it properly, click the 'Stop' button and then let Defraggler finish what it is currently doing before closing it.
If you force it to close, or crash it, then there can be a lot (GB's) of temporary files left on the disc.

I'd let it finish, then once the disc is tidied up in future you should do a 'Files Only' defrag which takes less time. To do that:

1. Open defraggler and analyse the drive.
  2. Click on 'View Files' or click on the 'Files' tab.
  3. Select the tickbox at the top of the list to select everything found.
  4. Click on 'Defrag Checked'.

Updates:
I wouldn't worry about updating Defraggler, it hasn't had a function update since 2018 so the one you have now will be up to date.
If you believe that you had a licence key but can't find it now then you can look it up here by entering the email address that you used when buying the licence:
https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup

Being honest, if you can't find the licence then just keep using Defraggler Free version it does she same thing you just don't have premium support.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043