Latest AMD Radeon Software drivers for non GCN products

Gilles92

Hello,

I am a new user of CCleaner Pro and I appreciate your product which has saved me time and effort in updating the drivers on my PC. However, there are exceptions to automating this task: drivers for old ATI RADEON graphics cards. For your information, for products that do not have the Graphic Next Generation architecture like my old RADEON HD6800 card, there are only two drivers:
- WHQL catalyst 15.7.1 drivers
- crimson 16.2.1 Beta drivers
Any driver newer than these older ones should not be suggested as they are not compatible with this non-GCN architecture.

See https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-non-gcn-16-2-1-beta

Forcing the validation of the choice of the latest drivers dated 2022/13/02 results in starting with the VGA driver. Hence, it is mandatory to stick to the legacy drivers for these old hardwares.

Best,

Gilles

Edited by Gilles92

Guest MeganCCleaner

Hi @Gilles92 I'll raise this issue with our development team but first, would you be willing to attach the following files in a reply?

• C:\Program Files\CCleaner\Data\DUState.dat
  • C:\Program Files\CCleaner\LOG\DriverUpdaterLib.log
  • C:\Windows\INF\setupapi.dev.log

Hello,

Here's the files. I used my administrator account to fetch files but I have not found any "setupapi.dev.log" file in C:\Windows\INF.

I manually installed "crimson 16.2.1 Beta drivers" after this wrong update. I zipped DriverUpdaterLib.log since it was to big for this forum.

If you need to get new files, let me know: I will try again to update the video driver.

DUState.dat DriverUpdaterLib.zip

Guest MeganCCleaner

Hi @Gilles92Thanks again for providing these resources, and for bringing this problem to our attention. 

It sounds as though this issue stems from how AMD has specified compatibility of this Hardware ID (PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6738) with their newer driver, whereas exactly as you said, the older/legacy driver is actually more suitable.

In any case, our development team has confirmed they are currently working on a solution so I suspect this driver update will no longer be identified in one of the next updates we release for CCleaner.

We appreciate you for raising this and if you happen to notice any other issues, or otherwise, please let us know; we'll be more than happy to help!