Should I remove hotfix uninstallers?

Sagi

I personally do not use the Hotfix Uninstaller, nor do I recommend users take advantage of the feature.

There have been numerous posts by people whom have run this feature, then complained about being unable to uninstall things like Windows Media Player 11 and Internet Explorer 7 Betas.

Well, no:

I personally do not use the Hotfix Uninstaller, nor do I recommend users take advantage of the feature.

Why?

There have been numerous posts by people whom have run this feature, then complained about being unable to uninstall things like Windows Media Player 11 and Internet Explorer 7 Betas.

So you probably can delete the uninstallers if you want.

AndyManchesta has in fact had to upload the hotfix for the Internet Explorer 7 Beta to allow it to uninstall.

Staff of Microsoft's Windows Media Player 11 have been here due to the issues that running the Hotfix Uninstaller has caused.

That's plenty of reasons for me to avoid it, and I would recommend other users do the same.

In this day and age, 70MB of space in use isn't going to hurt a thing when there are hard drives that are already going over 750GB.

If you know that you will not uninstall those, then go ahead and remove the hotfix uninstallers if you wish. I know that I wont remove any of the hotfixes, so I have removed the uninstallers.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

I know that I wont remove any of the hotfixes.

The problem E is that feature doesn't ONLY remove hotfix uninstallers. It also removes Program Uninstallers. ;)

If the hotfix uninstaller option only removed hotfix uninstallers, then I would deem it safe, but that isn't the case as of yet.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

The problem E is that feature doesn't ONLY remove hotfix uninstallers. It also removes Program Uninstallers. ;)

If the hotfix uninstaller option only removed hotfix uninstallers, then I would deem it safe, but that isn't the case as of yet.

Hmm... now I am confused...

I didn't know this...

I wonder why it remove program uninstallers too...

That is very misleading...

What program uninstallers does it remove?

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

Hmm... now I am confused...

I didn't know this...

I wonder why it remove program uninstallers too...

That is very misleading...

What program uninstallers does it remove?

So far we know that if you have downloaded and installed SP2 then that will be removed. As well as WMP 11. It used to remove IE7, but MrG fixed that in the last release.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

I remove them, because I don't plan on uninstalling hotfixes. But I don't have IE 7 or WMP 11 beta either.

Well IE7 isn't an issue any longer. The only remaining issues are WMP 11, and SP2. And before anyone asks "why would you ever need to uninstall a downloaded version of SP2?", it's because if anyone ever needs the option of a repair installation, the downloaded SP2 has to be uninstsalled prior to the repair install.

I don't have WMP 11 or SP 2, but if it will do more problems, or later I'll have to uninstall a hotfix (dunno why, maybe system's problem), I can't do it.

That's exactly why I recommend users don't remove their hotfix uninstallers. Recently (Few months back) Microsoft released a fix for WMP that actually caused WMP to hang when skipping on videos and other media.

I would like to see a function, where only "aged" hotfixes are deinstalled.

So that newer hotfixes remain in the system. Lets say for 2 months. After this time they are considered safe and allowed for removal by ccleaner. What do you think of that enhancement?

I would like to see a function, where only "aged" hotfixes are deinstalled.

So that newer hotfixes remain in the system. Lets say for 2 months. After this time they are considered safe and allowed for removal by ccleaner. What do you think of that enhancement?

Sounds good to me, would make it a little safer to use.

• Moderators

I personally delete them myself, however I don't have Hotfix Uninstallers ticked at all times, just when I'm wanting to remove them.

If the folders filesize is an "issue" and you're leary of just outright deleting them another safe option is to:

1. Highlight all the folders as a group, then right click, then select Properties from the pop up dialog.
  2. Click Advanced, tick Compress contents to save disk space.
  3. Click OK, and expect the compression to take many seconds to a few minutes. The files will still be accessible for uninstalling of any hotfix.

If the folders filesize is an "issue" and you're leary of just outright deleting them another safe option is to:

1. Highlight all the folders as a group, then right click, then select Properties from the pop up dialog.

2. Click Advanced, tick Compress contents to save disk space.

3. Click OK, and expect the compression to take many seconds to a few minutes. The files will still be accessible for uninstalling of any hotfix.

No need to do that. Microsoft automatically applies compression to its Hotfix uninstallers under the \windows directory. They already had that idea :D

Move all those hotfix uninstallers to other drive, other comp, or burn them on a disc if you really want to be safe (thats what actually i used to do on my laptop with very small hard drive - long before i start using ccleaner - i always moved them to my desktop pc and there added them to an UDF-formatted CD-RW (InCD in Nero etc); my Windows 2000 accumulated already 2 cd-rw discs full of just the hotfix uninstallers - and thats only since the SP4 was released)