How to reduce oversized CCleaner Window

JaninaG

Hi,

quite happy with CCleaner,  but dont like the fact that it take the whole screen and I cant seem to resize, it to a smaller area.  why it has to take over my whole screen I dont know. but it is a pain.

Is there  any way to reduce the screen  if not could you pleae work on it.  It is becoming a pain in the butt.

Thanks a lot,  appreciated

Janina

Quite simple.

Next to the "X" (in the top right hand corner of the CCleaner GUI) there is a symbol to resize the GUI. Click on that and then drag & drop the borders of the GUI towards the centre of the screen.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

• 1 month later...

The normal window resizing no longer works!  In windowed mode CCleaner won't resize vertically or horizontally.  The CCleaner window is vertically larger than the display.  The bottom stripe where system info & the check for updates is cut off.  This started happening when I switched to an HP notebook with a 4k display.  Is there a work around for this other than using full screen?

CCleaner.png

• Moderators

The user interface has a minimum size of 1010 x 700 pixels, it's been that minimum size since 2019.
Yyou can drag the edges to make it bigger than that, but can't make it smaller than that.

The options when it fills the screen like you are seeing are:

Change your screen resolution to show more pixels onscreen.
Use CCleaner at full screen (as you say).

The bottom stripe where system info & the check for updates is cut off.

If you don't want to change your screen resolution then I do recall seeing a workaround for if it's covering the taskbar like that.

If I remember correctly though it does involve deleting some registry entries, not everyone is comfortable with using regedit to alter the registry.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

My screen resolution is 3840 x 2160 so it far exceeds the minimum 1010 x 700 pixels.  That being said, the other display parameters are Windows defaults.  The scale is the recommended 300%.  Any less and the 12" display is not readable.  Still that would be within the 700 pixel minimum. 700 x 300% is less than 2160 pixels.

Edited by br549

• Moderators

Just being sure, is that what you actually have showing in Windows settings, or is it what the monitor itself is capable of?

It's the graphics card in the computer that usually limits what maximum resolution you can display, even on a hi-res monitor that is capable of more.

Admittedly in a 4K laptop you'd expect the card to handle 4K.

Do you have any Scaling set? That can also make a difference.
As can any 'Ease of Access' Options that you may have set.

image.png

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

I think that 300% scaling may be the issue. What happens if you reduce it?

Reducing the scaling makes the display too small to read.  CCleaner window does fit in the screen.  Scaling is system wide so reducing it makes the entire system unusable.

You mentioned registry changes. I tried changing HKCU\Software\Piriform\CCleaner\WINDOW_HEIGHT from 2124 to 1920.  When CCleaner executes that registry entry reverts to 2124.  Thus it can't be changed.  Is there another registry change that will solve the window size issue?  Failing that a patch to the executable may be the only solution.

• Moderators

I'm not at home at the moment but can post a link to that old post by Stephen CCleaner with the registry tweak later.

It isn't a change it's deleting 5 or 6 entries. (WINDOW_HEIGHT was just one).

EDIT - Here it is: https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/53546-last-ccleaner-v5547088-window-not-resizing/#comment-304194

Don't know if it will still work (don't know if it worked back then) but suppose that it's worth a try.

I know what you mean with the resolution settings and making things too small.

If you aren't using anything that needs the hi-res then it might be worth considering setting a lower display resolution with no scaling?

• Moderators

The scaling thing isn't really going to help with this especially with how Windows 10 & 11 deal with modern displays making everything nearly microscopic if attempting to use native scaling, i.e.; scaling disabled when at 100%. That 100% scaling is really only useful when looking at movies or videos in a video player, but makes using the rest of the computer unusable.

Previous complaints in other topics about the window size revealed the way it currently is in CCleaner version 5 it's best to just maximize the window, then there's no run-off, incorrect positioning, etc. Also they changed the default window size to accommodate today's larger displays.

Edited by Andavari
wording

• 3 months later...

this change is totally annoying.  it makes the product near useless.   and it is not just Win10 and 11.   I have win 7, screen resolution is 1366 x 768.   I can not move the gui so I can see ALL of it at once.   I can only drag it up so far and so CAN NOT see the bottom stuff (if there is any!)

I'm restoring back to 5.xxx until this is fixed.    This is a BUG. 

And yes, I use the built-in custom dsp scaling of 125%.  

I would suggest that the GUI not use DPI scaling.   I never use for all my autohotkey guis.