[Fixed in 5.89.9401] CCleaner 5.89.9385 immediately closes on launch

billbyrnes

I just was notif9ied from the 5.87 version that there was an update. I allowed 5.87 to update to 5.89. 5.89 started once, after that, it starts and immediately closes. What ever happened during the update, I cannot even go back to 5.87. When I re-Install 5.87, it exhibits the same behavior, start then close.

Has anyone seen this? Any ideas?

Bill Byrnes

email address removed to avoid member being spammed

Edited by Stephen CCleaner
Added note on fix version

Windows 10 PC. The update from 5.85 to 5.89 is installed on request but after opening CCleaner the window will appear but then close within a couple of seconds.

Tried uninstalling and a clean install, same problem.

Cannot reinstall 5.85 as it then auto updates to 5.89.

Solutions?

• Dave CCleaner changed the title to CCleaner 5.89 immediately closes on launch
  • Admin
31 minutes ago, billbyrnes said:

When I re-Install 5.87, it exhibits the same behavior, start then close

@billbyrnes: To confirm, are you saying that if you re-install 5.87 that 5.87 does the same thing?  Or that it 5.87 updates you to 5.89 and then gives you the same crashing problem?

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

• Admin

Further to Laurence's note above, we are seeing the vast majority of updates to 5.89 going off without a hitch, but also a few more cases like you describe than we would want to see and we've got a squad actively investigating this now.  To help us determine why some users are impacted and some are not, please shoot a note to support@ccleaner.com with something like "5.89 crash" or similar in the subject line so that we can pull it out of the queue for prompt attention.

In your email, please let us know:

• If this is a free or paid version of CCleaner (we'll be prioritising this either way, but may help us isolate the issue)
  • If you had this problem after an automatic update, manual update or fresh installation.
  • And if you updated, what version you were on previously.
  • Windows version and any AV/firewall software that may be running

... and ideally a debug log file, which can be obtained as follows:

1. Open the "Run" dialog in Windows (On the keyboard, hold/release the Windows (?name=Windows+Logo.png) and "R" keys simultaneously)
  2. Type: CCleaner.exe /debug > click OK
  3. When CCleaner opens, use the program to replicate the problem you are reporting
  4. Close out of CCleaner

Afterwards, a log file will be generated in the C:\Program Files\CCleaner folder and it will be named in the format of "CCleaner_[version]_[date]_[time].log". Please send this file to us.

If you could also send us any crash dumps for CCleaner these can be found by searching for the below location in the Window search bar:
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\CrashDumps

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup

Just sent this information off the cleaner support - I will be surprised if they let us know what is happening.

Program was working fine at 1:00 am this morning.

Tried doing a clean install and still the same problem - so it is a problem with the update

I, also have been having this issue, now for 2 days.  Running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.  I tried to download CCleaner Pro again in an attempt to reinstall.  The link that License Key Request from Piriform sent me, also, does not work; I get an error message:

"C:\Users\xxxxxl\AppData\Local\Temp\YqriIMAc.exe.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.

Try again later, or contact the server administrator."

I sincerely hope this issue will be resolved promptly!

• Admin
5 minutes ago, Wolf1203 said:

I will be surprised if they let us know what is happening

We will certainly be posting an update when we have more information to share.  We have had a few million users successfully update so far (as many as we'd usually expect a few hours after a new release) and it looks like whatever is going on is not impacting 99%+of users.  So we're still trying to ascertain from the information that we are receiving what the users who are impacted have in common so that we isolate and replicate the issue and come up with an appropriate remedy.

Particularly interested to get a few more debug logs and/or crash dumps from people using the the free version of CCleaner sent to support@ccleaner.com.  When contacting support, to save a couple of rounds of to-ing and fro-ing please provide as much of the information requested in my previous post as possible in your initial contact.

@Mandrill Interloper: If you were having an issue over the weekend then it's probably not related to the CCleaner 5.89 update today.  Were you having issues with CCleaner quitting on you prior to your reinstallation?  Problems with manually downloading CCleaner Pro sounds like something quite different - try here:https://www.ccleaner.com/go/get_ccpro ?

I have been using Ccleaner for years.  I have never really had any problems with it.  I believe that there was an update on it, today.  Now when I open the program, it starts and then disappears, as soon as it appears on the screen.

I uninstalled it, reinstalled it and it still does the same thing.

I am using Windows 11.  As far as I can tell there has been no changes or updates on any software that I run.  I ran Norton security to see if there was anything there but nothing showed up.

Has anyone any ideas on how to fix this?

I think I know what the problem is. If I am connected to the internet CC closes immediately.  If I am not connected to the internet CC does NOT close  immediately.  It must have something to do app when it connects to the internet.

Mike