Vista to Tighten the Genuine Advantage Screws

Humpty

Quote:

Come this fall, however, the Redmond software maker is planning to turn up the Genuine Advantage heat in two ways: By baking more Genuine Advantage checks directly into Windows Vista, and by taking aim at PC makers, system builders, Internet cafes and other sources of potentially pirated software.

Story

I wish the article had explained this quote:

"Under an internal Microsoft program known as the Unlicensed PC Initiative, the company is working to reduce piracy by curbing the number of new PCs sold without Windows ? and, increasingly, Office -- preloaded on them."

Does that mean MS is going to pressure PC manufacturers to use Windows instead of competing operating systems such as Linux? They have not been too successful in convincing regulators [at least in the EU] that forcing users of Windows to use MS's choice of Web browser [iE] and search engine [MSN] is a fair business practice. I find it hard to believe that they will be any more successful forcing an entire OS on consumers.

• Moderators

They have not been too successful in convincing regulators [at least in the EU] that forcing users of Windows to use MS's choice of Web browser [iE] and search engine [MSN] is a fair business practice. I find it hard to believe that they will be any more successful forcing an entire OS on consumers.

Yeah the Windows Vista install CD should at least come with other clean browsers like Firefox, and Opera. And come with other clean email clients too like Thunderbird. And a choice of media players.

They could include it on a secondary disc of add-ons that isn't part of the Windows Vista install CD which I think would be a very good ideal because it could also introduce people to free security software under license of course like; Ad-Aware, Spybot-S&D, Avast antivirus, AVG antivirus, AntiVir antivirus, ZoneAlarm firewall, etc. I realize that's just wishful thinking on my part.

There's no reason for them not to include them because they could simply install just the IE core files needed by Windows, and instead allow people after Windows setup to auto-download and install from auto updates or a special MS website in cooperation with Firefox and Opera a browser of their choice including Internet Explorer if they wanted it. I think the more serious thing though is Internet Explorer, Outlook, and Windows Media Player shouldn't be so hooked into the system and should instead be just like any other installed program which is; easily and fully be uninstalled without going through hoops like editing .ini files to allow something to be uninstalled or having to resort to some third-party program to remove them.

Have fun making that DVD, because Microsoft isn't going to give out alternative software. And yes, it'll be a DVD because of all the components Vista will have.

They have however given out a Security CD before that had an Anti-Virus and Firewall on it, but they were terrible. The firewall was just ZoneAlarm, with is extremely buggy, has tons of memory leak issues and more. The Anti-Virus was something equally poor.

Found more information on it. It was a Security CD released back in April of 2004.

The CD containing the free AV software is based on the Computer Associates "Armor LE" anti-virus software product and it comes with one year of free a/v signature updates.

Quote:

Come this fall, however, the Redmond software maker is planning to turn up the Genuine Advantage heat in two ways: By baking more Genuine Advantage checks directly into Windows Vista, and by taking aim at PC makers, system builders, Internet cafes and other sources of potentially pirated software.

Story

The harder they pull the snare around the neck of people, they more they get uncomfortable and want to get out. Some people are getting sick of it, and people are becoming aware of other operating systems, most notable Mac OS X but also Linux.

I wish the article had explained this quote:

"Under an internal Microsoft program known as the Unlicensed PC Initiative, the company is working to reduce piracy by curbing the number of new PCs sold without Windows ? and, increasingly, Office -- preloaded on them."

The "Windows Tax" sucks. Such a tax is a shame.

Yeah the Windows Vista install CD should at least come with other clean browsers like Firefox, and Opera. And come with other clean email clients too like Thunderbird. And a choice of media players.

They could include it on a secondary disc of add-ons that isn't part of the Windows Vista install CD which I think would be a very good ideal because it could also introduce people to free security software under license of course like; Ad-Aware, Spybot-S&D, Avast antivirus, AVG antivirus, AntiVir antivirus, ZoneAlarm firewall, etc. I realize that's just wishful thinking on my part.

There's no reason for them not to include them because they could simply install just the IE core files needed by Windows, and instead allow people after Windows setup to auto-download and install from auto updates or a special MS website in cooperation with Firefox and Opera a browser of their choice including Internet Explorer if they wanted it. I think the more serious thing though is Internet Explorer, Outlook, and Windows Media Player shouldn't be so hooked into the system and should instead be just like any other installed program which is; easily and fully be uninstalled without going through hoops like editing .ini files to allow something to be uninstalled or having to resort to some third-party program to remove them.

Well, cant expect them to include software of their competitors out of good will or something. Also, if they include a browser from Vendor A, then perhaps Vendor B starts crying why their browser wasn't included, etc.

I think they should be better at other things. Allow more components to easily be uninstalled. Stop with their vicious EEE (Embrace, extend and extinguish) strategy. Use and follow open standards, protocols and file formats.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

What I took this to mean was that MS "is working to reduce piracy" by trying to force PC manufacturers to install Windows rather than Linux or other competing operating systems.

This seems bizarre. Are they thinking people are purchasing a Linux system in order to install a pirated version of Windows? Why not simply purchase a Windows PC to begin with? The cost savings can't be all that great. I would think most people who would be inclined to use a pirated copy of Windows are trying to upgrade an older version or installing it on a home built PC rather than going to the trouble and expense of buying a brand new PC with another OS on it.

It makes more sense to me that this initiative is to increase Windows sales rather than combatting piracy.