Files on SSD. Help a dunce!

Junglist

Hi,

I’m struggling to find answers in simple terms that I can understand. I have identified two files on my Samsung 850 EVO SSD (C:) and another two files on my HDD (E:) that I want to delete without being recoverable. I don’t want to wipe the drives entirely.

After some reading it seems that erasing files from an SSD is difficult, but I’m not clear on what is possible in terms of erasing and what is left behind. Also, I assume the recycle bin is located on my C: drive, so are files that are deleted from my HDD (E:) copied to my SSD (C:) during recycling?

Also what problems might there be with Windows File Recovery keeping copies?

Thanks.

if you want to permanently erase a file, the way that is done is by overwriting the file, which is not the same as deleting the file, so a file that has been overwritten would not be moved to the recycle bin.

i use "sdelete" (the 64-bit version) to overwrite files that i want permanently erased:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/sdelete

pretty much, just follow the simple instructions. however, in my experience, i was only able to get sdelete to overwrite files, not whole folders.

you can use the "cd" command to change folders, to get to where the file is located. for example "cd C:\Users\(user)\Documents"

• Moderators
2 hours ago, redwolfe_98 said:

i use "sdelete" (the 64-bit version) to overwrite files that i want permanently erased:

Microsoft Sysinternals SDelete while useful can be a complete disaster for some people and especially if the commands are inputted incorrectly, therefore I warn against using a non-gui tool for secure erasing files.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Junglist said:

erasing files from an SSD is difficult

Delete the file (Shift+Delete) so that it doesn't get sent to the Recycle Bin, then run TRIM on the SSD using Windows built-in Optimize Drives.

Each drive has it's own unique Recycle Bin, if you delete a file on any drive that Windows will create a Recycle Bin for it does not move it into your C: Drive Recycle Bin.

If you have a duplicate of that file on a HDD you could delete the file to the Recycle Bin, then enable Secure Delete 1-Pass in CCleaner, then on the left side of CCleaner right-click the Recycle Bin and select 'Clean Empty Recycle Bin' and it will overwrite the files in any Recycle Bin on the system. Remember to disable Secure Delete in CCleaner so that it doesn't take forever to delete files and so that it isn't being ran on your SSD.

• Moderators

Files deleted from a SSD are usually not recoverable. (unless they are still in the recycle bin).

You'll see in the Recuva sub-forum that it's often stated that you can't recover files from a SSD that has TRIM enabled.

https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/myths-about-disk-wiping-and-solid-state-drives/

The SSDs use a different mechanism to store data than mechanical hard drives, and thus function differently. When you delete a file on your SSD, a TRIM command is issued to the drive by the operating system. This results in permanent erasure of the file contents from the SSD. Hence, a simple delete operation will clean data off your SSD. You do not require wiping the SSD using disk wipe utilities.

A bit more technical about TRIM and data recovery from SSDs:
https://www.cleverfiles.com/howto/ssd-data-recovery.html

TRIM is an Advanced Technology Attachment command that makes it possible for an operating system to inform an SSD which blocks of data are no longer considered in use and can be wiped internally. TRIM is very helpful for the long term functionality of SSDs. However, when TRIM is used, data recovery software isn’t capable of functioning properly. 

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thank you for all the replies.

15 hours ago, Andavari said:

Delete the file (Shift+Delete) so that it doesn't get sent to the Recycle Bin, then run TRIM on the SSD using Windows built-in Optimize Drives.

How do I manually run TRIM on the SSD?

6 minutes ago, Junglist said:

How do I manually run TRIM on the SSD?

with windows 10, the way that i do it, click the "start" button to open the menu there. then go to "windows administrative tools." then, within the "windows administrative tools" folder, click "defragment and optimize drives." you can run "trim" from there.