Anti-Virus software keeps deleting CCleaner.exe

MeanMrGene

Either my Norton's 360 or Windows Defender keeps deleting CCleaner.exe file, and I need to re-install it every couple of days. 

I have made CCleaner folder an "exception from scans" with my Nortons, but I don't know how to do that with Defender.

This has only started to happen now that I had to install the newest version of CCleaner so that I would work with the latest Windows 10 updates.

Does anyone else have this problem and know of a solution????

Please let me know as any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

• Moderators

As Hazelnut says having any other AV installed/enabled turns off Defender real time protection. (although periodic scans can still be run).

Neither Norton or Defender is know for removing CCleaner.exe, so if it's happening on your machine then that begs a few of questions.
(Defender will sometimes remove very old CCleaner versions, but it you are up to date with CCleaner that isn't a problem).

What version of Norton 360 are you running?
What version of Windows 10 are you running?

What version of CCleaner, and where did you download it from?
Is it installed in the default location or have you installed it at a custom location?

Have you checked the Norton Quarantine logs to see if it is actually Norton that is removing CCleaner.exe?
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v6200305

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I realize that Norton 360 over-rides Defender -- I just wanted to let people know all the AV programs that are on my system.

I downloaded CCleaner from their site, and I'm a paid PRO user, as well as a Norton 360 subscriber - so all my versions are up to date.

I've updated my Windows 10 - so I know its the latest version too.

Maybe I'll see if there's a way to turn off Defender all together to see if that's the problem.

• Moderators

Please tell us the actual version numbers.

You might be surprised at the number of times a questioner has insisted that they are 'up to date' only for us later to find that their version is actually an old one.

Certain AV's in particular are well known for reporting that they are 'up to date' when in fact it's last years version that is being used.

Windows 10 may also not be the latest, just because it is not offering you a version update does not mean that you have the latest Win 10 version.

You may indeed be up to date, but without the version numbers we can't check if that is the case.

PS. As you know that Defender is turned off by running another AV then why do you still think that what you are seeing has anything to do with Defender?

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Windows 10: Version 21H1 ... OS Build - 19043.1415

Norton 360: v22.21.11.46

CCleaner: v5.88.9346 (64-bit)

* I've also turned off Windows Defender completely by going into the "Task Scheduler" and denying it doing periodic scans ... So I am hoping this will stop the problem too.

I have been using CCleaner Pro for over 5 years without any problems. This problem only started when I got the notice from CCleaner that the version I had, would no longer be compatible with Windows 10, and to go to the home page and download the newer version.

I hope this info helps.

(Also - I didn't think that Defender was the problem, I honestly had no idea what was causing it to be deleted. I just wanted to give out as much info as I could to hopefully help in finding a solution) 

Thanks for all your help so far.

• Moderators

Thanks for checking,

The latest Windows 10 is now 21H2 build 19044.1415, but 21H1 is OK.
Norton 360 v22.21.11.46 is the latest.
CCleaner: v5.88.9346 is the latest.

So you are up to date except for Win 10, and as said 21H1 is fine. (If you do a 'Check for Updates' you may be offered 21H2 or may not, it depends on what components/software are in your machine).

image.png

So the cause of your issue remains a mystery, did you check Nortons quarintine logs to see if Norton is removing CCleaner for some reason?
Although if that was the problem then I'd expect other Norton 360 users to be shouting as well.

The next question would be where you are getting the CCleaner installer from, (and are you using the same installer each time or downloading a new one)?

I suggest that you uninstall CCleaner again and remove any existing 'ccsetup###.exe' installer that you have, then download the 'Slim' installer (ccsetup588_slim.exe) from here, it's the 3rd one down:
https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds
That installs the same CCleaner, but installs it in a slightly different way which can often prevent/cure odd problems.
(If you have CCleaner Pro then once re-installed you will need to go to Options>About>Upgrade to Pro and enter your licence key again).

PS. Another reason that I doubt Defender is removing CCleaner is that Microsoft have now added CCleaner in the Microsoft Store.
So it would be daft of them to offer it in the Store and then have Defender remove it.

I did download my copy of CCleaner directly from their site, by using the app to go to their homepage as instructed when my version needed updating originally.

Since stopping Defender from doing periodic scans, everything seems to be ok. Its been 5 days now, and CCleaner.exe hasn't been deleted - so fingers crossed.

• Moderators

Odd,

We know that a Defender scan will ocassionally remove very old/outdated CCleaner versions, but it shouldn't be touching the latest version(s).

Please let us know if the problem returns for you.

(PS. If that does happen then I would then try an uninstall and reinstall using the Slim installer. It may be that you have an odd registry entry left over somewhere and if so then doing an uninstall/reinstall should cear that).

• Moderators

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT) (aka "MRT") is the only other auto-scanning built into Win10 that runs a scan monthly during the monthly automatic updates. Although it would be odd for it to remove CCleaner.exe.

• Admin

Out-of-date AV and/or threat definitions can often be a problem as some (depending on the product and your security settings) may assume that anything "new" is a potential threat.  And even if it says it is up to date, always worth a check.  eg: right now Defender is telling me that it is up to date ...

image.png

But when I check for updates, lo and behold ...

image.png

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes