Windows Vista under attack

Humpty

Quote:

Before it's even released, Windows Vista is under attack. After security researcher Joanna Rutkowska demonstrated how it's possible to circumvent security in Microsoft's Vista beta software and install a rootkit called Blue Pill, Microsoft said it intends to find ways to stop both potential threats before Vista ships.

Story

• Moderators

I heard about that rootkit not to long ago.

I was watching the news yesterday and they had a small topic about Microsoft daring hackers to find holes in Vista before it ships. No matter how secure Vista is it will probably only be a matter of time before exploits are rampant as they are in the now which is per-normal.

I heard about that rootkit not to long ago.

I was watching the news yesterday and they had a small topic about Microsoft daring hackers to find holes in Vista before it ships. No matter how secure Vista is it will probably only be a matter of time before exploits are rampant as they are in the now which is per-normal.

MS "daring" hackers to find holes in Vista is a great way for them to provoke really smart people into thoroughly testing their software for them without having to pay for the service, I'd imagine. What better way to find the security vulnerabilities than to get the very people who will be trying to compromise it in the future to compromise it pre-release?

MS "daring" hackers to find holes in Vista is a great way for them to provoke really smart people into thoroughly testing their software for them without having to pay for the service, I'd imagine. What better way to find the security vulnerabilities than to get the very people who will be trying to compromise it in the future to compromise it pre-release?

White Hats... :D

• Moderators

Yeah and those hackers can also mislead MS in the wrong direction as well. In any event I highly doubt no matter what MS claims or whoever else about Vista's security there will most likely be holes and exploits in it.

Also don't forget existing applications which may have vulnerabilities such as anti-virus, software-based firewalls, etc., will have to be updated/upgraded so as to not be an open doorway into the OS making it exploitable when it's supposed to be "secure".