CCleaner not deleting Chrome cookies [Fixed in CC5.89]

Haapy

Windows 10 21H2, CCleaner 96.0.4664.93. Cookies are not deleted in C:/Users/"USER"/appdata/local/google/chrome/userdata/default/network/cookies.

I just discovered this using SuperAntiSpyware. I had over 500 cookies stored there. I made an addition to CCleaner, Options, Include to point to this file and it took care of it.

Either this is a bug in CCleaner or a recent change in Chrome.

I created a separate thread before seeing yours. I noticed this issue too. Yet CCleaner brags in their latest releasae notes:

Better cleaning

• We’ve improved Microsoft Edge Chromium cache cleaning
  • We’ve added new cleaning for Windows Event Trace Log (ETL) files

Chrome was updated back on November 15. CCleaner on Nov 16. So they had almost a month to fix this. Instead, they remain silent which is the typical response these days. 

I tap on with this thread to avoid duplication of report since it's a similar issue encountered.

Noticed the issue started days ago after Google Chrome updated their latest version (Version 96.0.4664.93 - 64 bit) on 11-Dec-21.

Usually when I run the CCleaner, it will clear-off all cookies captured under "all cookies and site data" section at Google Chrome without any problem, but somehow this process does not work anymore since Chrome released their latest version of update.

I have try using the older and latest version of CCleaner (V5.63 & V5.87) to see there is any different or not on the outcome and results given the same.

The CCleaner's cleanning status shown that cookies were cleared. However, when go to Chrome's setting and check the "All cookies and site date", all cookies captured from each of the sites visited remains there. Best part is when open my gmail account, the site will just pop-up directly without the need to sign-in as it wasn''t logged off at all. Only way to clear off those cookies is throught a manual method via "Chrome History" setting.

On the other hand, I also tried out with another machine using Microsoft Edge Chromium, by repeating the same process as above and result shown differently with all cookies deleted successfully and history record all wiped out clean. The issue proven only happened with Google Chrome. 

The above situation with Google Chrome was not happened before (for years since I started using CCleaner) and I really no clue what went wrong here based on the quick test I had done with  different internet tools giving the same issue using CCleaner.

Hoping someone from technical group can take a look on this issue and address with a quick fix if it is related to CClean.

Guest Andrei CCleaner

Hey @Haapy@Ong@Hmm . Please follow these steps on your device and send your logs in an email to our support team at support@ccleaner.com so they could investigate your situation

1. Open the "Run" dialog in Windows (On the keyboard, hold/release the Windows (?name=Windows+Logo.png) and "R" keys simultaneously)
  2. Type: CCleaner.exe /debug > click OK
  3. When CCleaner opens, use the program to replicate the problem you are reporting
  4. Close out of CCleaner

Afterwards, a log file will be generated in the C:\Program Files\CCleaner folder and it will be named in the format of "CCleaner_[version]_[date]_[time].log". Please send this file to us.

6 hours ago, Andrei CCleaner said:

Hey @Haapy@Ong@Hmm . Please follow these steps on your device and send your logs in an email to our support team at support@ccleaner.com so they could investigate your situation

1. Open the "Run" dialog in Windows (On the keyboard, hold/release the Windows (?name=Windows+Logo.png) and "R" keys simultaneously)
  3. When CCleaner opens, use the program to replicate the problem you are reporting
  4. Close out of CCleaner

Afterwards, a log file will be generated in the C:\Program Files\CCleaner folder and it will be named in the format of "CCleaner_[version]_[date]_[time].log". Please send this file to us.

I don't really have time for this right now. I'm using Chrome in incognito to prevent cookies from being saved. When I have some time and I notice the cookies aren't being cleaned, I'll do the same.

In the interim, hopefully @Haapy's log will be helpful. You (CCleaner) can also replicate this on your own. i have already mentioned which popular websites'  cookies remain. 

10 hours ago, Andrei CCleaner said:

4. Close out of CCleaner

How do I do this when CCleaner is saved/installed on D drive? And how to send the log file to you? Don't tell me you want us to post it in the forum?

Perhaps add a feature in CCleaner that automatically creates a debug file without having to use the command prompt?

Guest Andrei CCleaner

Thank you everyone.

@Hmm Don't worry as the support team will help you out if you sent an email to the address I've previously mentioned (support@ccleaner.com)

pear_big_w.png

Je (Piriform Support)

Dec 14, 2021, 6:21 EST

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your email.

I understand your concern regarding in this issue and let me assist you. I tried to look for similar cases like yours, however, it doesn't show any related similar case. We had checked as well whether this can be created in our end unfortunately, issue did not appear.

Our team would like to thank you in reporting this issue.

As of now, may I ask if you have any other concern or questions?

Looking forward in your response.

Kind regards,

Je | CCleaner Support - Manila, Philippines

Guest Andrei CCleaner

Heya @Haapy, our devs are looking at this feedback as we speak to see if we can clean these files but first we need to be sure that the procedure will prove to be safe and won't affect your browser.

On 13/12/2021 at 19:31, Ong said:

Hello Admin, I have sent out the log file to the email address provided (along with screenshoots attached) and hope to hear from your team on the outcome soon. Thanks.

I wasn't given an email address so I wasn't able to send the log file. 

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Hmm said:

I wasn't given an email address so I wasn't able to send the log file. 

Granting the fact it was not personally given to you it is a few posts up. support@ccleaner.com is the email address

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

15 hours ago, Andrei CCleaner said:

Heya @Haapy, our devs are looking at this feedback as we speak to see if we can clean these files but first we need to be sure that the procedure will prove to be safe and won't affect your browser.

I downloaded Firefox on a Win 7x64 machine. CCleaner isn't cleaning (or detecting) cookies there either.

Same issue here with Google Chrome cookies not being deleted. 

Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2 for x64-based System

Chrome is up to date
Version 96.0.4664.110 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I log out of everything before shutting it down for the night, disconnect internet, shut off VPN, run CCleaner (usually more than once, yes, I know I'm OCD) and power down. I open it up of the morning, get my VPN and internet going, head to Google to sign in to a blog that I'm part of and there I am, staring back at myself because it's "remembered" me albeit showing that I'm signed out. I have nothing set on my computer to "remember me" and even if I were to screw up and not untick the box, CCleaner has always gotten rid of the cookie anyway. This is getting frustrating.

piriform_pear_ZD.PNG

Laurence (Piriform Support)

Dec 21, 2021, 5:11 EST

Hi Andy,

I have been asked to look into your support request, sorry you are having problems with CCleaner cleaning your Chrome data.

Thank you for highlighting this to us we have found the issue and it will be fixed in the next update to CCleaner.

If you’re having any trouble with this, or if you need anything else, please feel free to email me back.

Kind regards,

Laurence | CCleaner Support - London, UK

It looks like Google Chrome has changed the location of the cookie. To clear cookies in google chrome, before clearing, you need to move the cookie file from the "User Data\Default\Network" folder to the "User Data\Default" folder. After clearing the cookie, you must return it back to "User Data\Default\Network"

4 minutes ago, zakoul said:

There is no need to do that. CCleaner should take care of that if they make the update as they said they would. I have been deleting the network cookies using options include for months now with no problems.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, zakoul said:

It looks like Google Chrome has changed the location of the cookie. To clear cookies in google chrome, before clearing, you need to move the cookie file from the "User Data\Default\Network" folder to the "User Data\Default" folder. After clearing the cookie, you must return it back to "User Data\Default\Network"

Now we're programmers? Seriously, you need to stop shilling/defending Piriform

The latest update for CCleaner still doesn't address the Chrome cookie issue. This is a great example of incompetence or ineptitude. Which one is it? 

The WORKAROUND is to use Firefox or Edge (for W10+) or another Chromium based browser where it hasn't been moved the cookie location. Otherwise, use Chrome's Cookie cleaner Settings (Advanced mode) to clear all cookies, cookies within an hour, 24 hours, etc). Set up a bookmark: chrome://settings/clearBrowserData