New (?) free AV

Humpty

Don't know what's going on here but it looks the same as the latest Kaspersky AV.

Haven't downloaded it as I already have KAV but some may want to have a look.

Quote:

Now everyone can get leading anti-virus protection - absolutely FREE!

* Powered by Kaspersky, one of the largest anti-virus providers, worldwide

* About 300 new viruses are created each month. Every computer needs to be protected

* Real-time scanning and protection against virus threats

* No cost, obligation, or AOL membership required

* Advanced detection technology to help stop viruses and malware before they attack you

Free AV link

Found this discussion over at a security forum.

Link

• Moderators

Wow the etrust people are going to sue me or something. Not only do I have it installed on 3 pcs but I have uninstalled/reinstalled it 6 times in the last month. :P

Anyway I installed this new AOL thing. Its not horrible but its not really good either. During the install it asked if you want to install some toolbar which I did just to see what it was. Its a pop up blocker/search bar thing.(useless)

The program itself is only a on demand scanner and email scanner. It dosent have real time protection. Its basically a crippled Kaspersky.

One thing I didnt like was I installed it and after it updated it told me to reboot(all AVs do this). But when I booted back up it updated and made me reboot again!

Yeah but, what has AOL did to it?

Exactly. The download page states you'll get spam plus its clearly has an adware/spyware element - a quick Eulalyser scan flags up the following in the license agreement (I'm surprised Kapersky agreed to this use of it):

You must not "block, disable, or otherwise effect any advertising, advertisement banner window, tabs, links to other sites and services"

"Your APS Product information may include registration-related information (such as your e-mail addresses); information about how you use the Software, as well as your responses to offerings and advertisements presented through the Software"

"Your APS Product information may be use to personalize the content and advertisements you receive"

You must not "block, disable, or otherwise effect any advertising, advertisement banner window, tabs, links to other sites and services"

"As a condition for your use of the Software, you agree to receive promotions and periodic e-mail messages from us and our Affiliates."

• Moderators

I don't trust AOL and sure as hell won't subject my system to their software even if it's some rebranded commercial application, and from what JDPower posted above I think we should seriously take the post by TwistedMetal to heart yet again:

It's from AOL. What good has ever come from AOL?

Exactly!

The program itself is only a on demand scanner and email scanner.

Hmm, interesting. So then why should anyone even bother with it when there's freeware fully function av's with a resident shield; Avast, AntiVir, AVG.