system restore on flash drive

TheFiresInTheSky

a friend wants this:

is it possible to set up system restore on a flash drive so it could be set back if anything gets changed or deleted on accident?

the whole thing would need to be stored on the flash drive so it could be set back from any PC.

No, as far as I am aware it is not.

The system restore shouldn't normally be removed though, as its in a hidden folder, and might even have Windows system protection enabled for it. Not sure.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• Moderators

You could make registry back ups with ERUNT if you want. I don't think windows will do this though. And no you cant restore another pc from a restore point not created on it if thats what you were going to do.

• Moderators

It just sounds like a big mess waiting to happen even if using ERUNT, because merging a registry from one system onto another sounds like a downright aweful mess that even I wouldn't want to deal with. There will be hardware configurations that don't even pertain to a system, and I wonder if it would trigger Windows into thinking it was illegally installed. Actually if I ran into such a system I wouldn't even attempt to fix it, I'd format the f'er in a heartbeat.

• Moderators

Hmm.. I'm confused. Are you wanting to make sure nothing happens to your files on the flash drive?

If thats what your doing then just leave the files on your pc too. Or maybe keep duplicates of all the files on your flash drive in a zip file on the drive as well.

didnt find anything so far, is it possible to make a batch on the flash drive then whenever its inserted into a computer, that batch runs and makes a copy of everything when you put it in and when you take it out then just writes that somewhere on the flashdrive?