Conroe and the Zalman CNPS 9500 LED

Stephen

I am collecting parts for a new build. I plan on getting either the Conroe E6700 or the X6800 - depending upon where the prices are in a couple of months. I most likely will get an Intel mobo - something like the D975XBX Rev. 2, depending upon what else is out in a couple of months.

I do not plan on overclocking. Given that, would the Zalman CNPS 9500 LED provide better cooling than the stock HSF? Would the Zalman be any quieter than the stock HSF?

Conroe is a good choice. It is a good performer.

I heard that it can be overclocked pretty far with just the stock HSF.

Zalman are known to make quiet HSF. I havent checked up the model CNPS 9500 LED but with Zalman's reputation, I would assume that it is more quiet than the stock HSF. The Conroe gets less warm than previous Intel CPU's, I dont know how the stock HSF sounds, but maybe it is pretty quiet.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

Conroe is great (and I'm an AMD fanboy >.<), but the Core 2 Extreme X6800 blows any CPU out of the water.

I'm guessing you got this from the Maximum PC dream PC?

Since Zalman makes such a high-quality HS (even without the fan) you could probably run it with the fan LOW or even OFF :o

No worries there. Except for the price o.0

Conroe is great (and I'm an AMD fanboy >.<), but the Core 2 Extreme X6800 blows any CPU out of the water.

The Core 2 Extreme is indeed a fantastic proc. But comparing AMD's best proc to the Core 2 is apples to oranges, because the AMD is still a 90 nm process, whereas the Intel is 65 nm. I have a feeling as soon as AMD shrinks down their dies, they will retake the lead in both processing power and low thermals / power consumption.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

The Core 2 Extreme is indeed a fantastic proc. But comparing AMD's best proc to the Core 2 is apples to oranges, because the AMD is still a 90 nm process, whereas the Intel is 65 nm. I have a feeling as soon as AMD shrinks down their dies, they will retake the lead in both processing power and low thermals / power consumption.

I hope so :P