CCleaner 5.86 and Windows 11

Big_Dave

After a fresh installation of W11 Pro and the installation of MS Office 2019, CCleaner using the defaults for Custom clean clears out the "pinned" document settings under Word and Excel.

Additionally, the same Custom clean process causes my HP 6055 printer to be in an error state.  I then have to use  the HP Print and Scan Doctor to repair the issue. The printer is marked as the default and it shows under USB Devices in Device Manager.

• Moderators

Are you running the registry section of ccleaner? Or just custom clean

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Big_Dave said:

I am just using the default settings set by CCleaner during the installation process. I am not cleaning the registry.

Just to be sure here - you are only using Custom Clean?

The default screen set during installation is Health Check and not Custom Clean.

Health Check uses it's own rules which you can't change, changing any settings for Custom Clean will not change what Health Check does.

If you want Custom Clean as the default then go to Options > Settings and change 'CCleaner home screen' to Custom Clean.

For cleaning of Office documents look at the Custom Clean Applications tab and in the 'Applications' section make sure that you have your version of Office unticked (or all Office versions unticked) so that it is left alone by Custom Clean.
(Health Check will still clean it if you run Health Check).

The printer issue may be something else, it may be Windows itself.
I haven't heard of CCleaner causing printer problems before, unless possibly if you've used the Reg Cleaner which is why Nergal asked.
It is now also possible that if you have used CCleaners  Driver Updater that it might have changed the printer driver, but you haven't mentioned using that.

It may not be CCleaner at all - Microsoft have been having numerous issues with updates breaking printer functionality for a year or two now.
Everytime there is a Windows Update some people find that their printers stop working.

Windows 11 is no exception to this and there are currently at least 3 known different ongoing printer problems with Win 11.
https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/windows-11-joins-windows-10-in-breaking-printers

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

6 hours ago, nukecad said:

Just to be sure here - you are only using Custom Clean?

The default screen set during installation is Health Check and not Custom Clean.

Health Check uses it's own rules which you can't change, changing any settings for Custom Clean will not change what Health Check does.

If you want Custom Clean as the default then go to Options > Settings and change 'CCleaner home screen' to Custom Clean.

For cleaning of Office documents look at the Custom Clean Applications tab and in the 'Applications' section make sure that you have your version of Office unticked (or all Office versions unticked) so that it is left alone by Custom Clean.
(Health Check will still clean it if you run Health Check).

The printer issue may be something else, it may be Windows itself.
I haven't heard of CCleaner causing printer problems before, unless possibly if you've used the Reg Cleaner which is why Nergal asked.
It is now also possible that if you have used CCleaners  Driver Updater that it might have changed the printer driver, but you haven't mentioned using that.

It may not be CCleaner at all - Microsoft have been having numerous issues with updates breaking printer functionality for a year or two now.
Everytime there is a Windows Update some people find that their printers stop working.

Windows 11 is no exception to this and there are currently at least 3 known different ongoing printer problems with Win 11.
https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/windows-11-joins-windows-10-in-breaking-printers

Again, I am not cleaning the registry.   Custom Clean is my default screen at startup.

The Custom Clean Applications selections has Office 2016 unchecked but I have Office 2019 installed and that version is not shown.

Printer -- It might be a MS issue but then CCleaner may not be taking into account that MS has moved "by design" items to different locations.