CCleaner Crash Upon Health Check

Edwin Li

CCleaner just unceremoniously closes down mid-way through the Health Check process. No error code and nothing else happened. Looks like CCleaner just closed itself but still running in the background (icon still displayed in the lower right corner)

• I do have CCleaner installed at the standard location, "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\". 
  • Have tried to allow CCleaner64.exe to through the firewall in Windows Defender (whitelisted the CCleaner)
  • Have tried to add the entire CCleaner folder in Microsoft Defender Antivirus exclusions (whitelisted the CCleaner again)

But the Health Check worked when disconnected with internet. No antivirus software installed on my laptop except for the Microsoft Defender.

Running CCleaner Pro v5.85.9170 64 bit version on Windows 11 21H2 22000.258 system. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Edwin Li said:

Running CCleaner Pro v5.85.9170 64 bit version on Windows 11 21H2 22000.258 system. 

I'm guessing that may be the reason for the issue?
Win 11 is only just out of Insider testing, it's only been RTM for a week and a half, and like any newly released OS it is going to have some issues to start with.

It may not be Win 11, but that is my first thought. (When something is new then any new problem is likely related).
Were you running Health Check sucessfully on Win 10 before you upgraded to Win 11?

The fact that Health Check crashes 'mid-way through' but runs sucessfully offline suggests that it's the server connection(s) required for the 'Speed' and/or 'Security'  functions that is causing the crash.

For now I would use Custom Clean instead of Health Check, Custom Clean just cleans the junk and doesn't try to reach those servers.
To set Custom Clean as the default go to Options>Settings>'CCleaner home screen'.

If you want to test further then as well as the whitelisting you could see if temporarily disabling the Windows 11 firewall will let Health Check through (don't forget to turn it back on).
https://www.lifewire.com/turn-off-and-disable-firewall-in-windows-11-5192308

I'll flag this to the staff as a possible issue with Windows 11.

PS. You will still get the icon in the System Tray if you have either 'Smart Cleaning' or 'Automatic Updates' enabled in CCleaner.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

8 hours ago, nukecad said:

Were you running Health Check sucessfully on Win 10 before you upgraded to Win 11?

It's been about 2 years since I last used CCleaner PC version, just switched back to PC from Mac recently. I do remember CCleaner worked very well with Win 10. 

If you want to test further then as well as the whitelisting you could see if temporarily disabling the Windows 11 firewall will let Health Check through (don't forget to turn it back on).

FYI that I turned off all three firewalls (domain network/private network/public network) but no good for the Health Check. Got crashed again when running HC. 

I'll flag this to the staff as a possible issue with Windows 11.

Thanks and for sure I'll wait and see and use Custom Clean instead of Health Check until you guys figure that out.

• 2 weeks later...