Chrome Extension is disabled when running CCleaner Custom Clean

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Clean MisterB said:

Your thought on that would be interesting. 

If anything, starting this thread has enlightened me to some of the stuff CCleaner does "under the bonnet" 😁

Sessions for any browser is something I will never clean because I learned the hard way to leave it unticked/disabled in CCleaner many years ago (a long time ago by now) when it would delete some Firefox settings after Mozilla introduced a new way of doing things that caused issues when CCleaner cleaned Sessions.

Also if you ever use the community winapp2.ini file (not officially supported by the makers of CCleaner) you really need to inspect the cleaners you're about to use because what someone else may prefer to deep clean may not necessarily be what the next person wants, but that is at least easily modifiable before using it.

To @nukecad You said "I prefer to quote the relevant text fragment so that it can be quickly/easily seen without having to follow a link, and also give a link to the full article for those who want to follow up and see the full contents." As you know, that extension gives the heading and a link which is how I prefer to do it thus: Brexit: EU to reveal new proposals on Northern Ireland Protocol  taken randomly from the BBC. Again...IMO, I find that looks neater if I'm sending an email with a link.

Of course, you also said  "Each to their own" a sentiment with which I most certainly agree and "(I have learned something new about Chrome for future reference)." Well raising this thread has taught me a fair bit about Chrome and CCleaner for future reference!

I mentioned earlier that it's a few KB of space wasted so Google's issue of "Session State wasting valuable space" is, (again IMO) irrelevant  in these days of system partitions being hundreds of GB - I think that comment is a hangover from earlier years - I'm old enough to remember sub 100MB system drives!  Backing up that INI file is an excellent idea - I have got the "Save all settings" ticked - I think it's set by default.

And @Andavari I 've come round to your way of thinking about Sessions - I did look at that community winapp2.ini file - I think I'll continue letting CCleaner create my own INI file - this being a case of "If it ain't broke......" we know the rest!

All very educational and despite none of us actually being able to fix the issue, as the Author of the thread, I find the solution of simply not ticking "Sessions" the most practical and elegant. 

• Moderators

It's sometimes the way that you are unable to stop 2 apps from clashing with with each other, and so just have to find the way that suits you if you want to use them both.
Usually that means sacrificing a function in one or the other. In this case you've sacrificed the cleaning of sessions.

At least having some understanding of why it's happening can help you decide which way you want to go.

As you note with todays larger drives clearing junk to free up storage space is not the issue it once was, these days for most people it's more a case of wiping up your footprints to avoid the possibility of someone accessing the files and seeing where you have been.
That's why most browser now have an option to delete history, cookies, etc. on closing, CCleaner goes a bit deeper with that cleaning.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

On 13/10/2021 at 09:59, nukecad said:

It's sometimes the way that you are unable to stop 2 apps from clashing with with each other, and so just have to find the way that suits you if you want to use them both.
Usually that means sacrificing a function in one or the other. In this case you've sacrificed the cleaning of sessions.

At least having some understanding of why it's happening can help you decide which way you want to go.

As you note with todays larger drives clearing junk to free up storage space is not the issue it once was, these days for most people it's more a case of wiping up your footprints to avoid the possibility of someone accessing the files and seeing where you have been.
That's why most browser now have an option to delete history, cookies, etc. on closing, CCleaner goes a bit deeper with that cleaning.

@nukecad

Would you care to look at the GitHub thread - https://github.com/GoogleChromeLabs/link-to-text-fragment/issues/44#issuecomment-945816061

The Context Menu code (along with subsequent comments)  has been posted for me, but it's FAR more appropriate for you!

• Moderators

I think that you are upsetting the dev there by suggesting that is coding may be 'incorrect'.

It doesn't seem to be his coding at fault at all, it seems to be the way that Chrome works.
(In testing it I don't get the same issue at all with Firefox).

Rather than saying the coding is 'incorrect' you might be better saying that you've found this issue with Chrome and 3rd party cleaners, and asking if he could take a look.
But TBH as it seems to work unless/until you clear the browser session by using something other than the browser itself he'll probably just suggest that you stop clearing the session that way. (See the PS)

Presumably if you clear your session in Chrome itself the extension still works, so as far as the dev is concerned it's working properly and it's your use of a 3rd party cleaning tool that is the problem. That's a reasonable point of view.
If Chrome itself was removing the context menu entry then that would be a different matter.

As @MeganCCleaner said above:

I'm not certain if this is something we can correct as it seems to be directly related to an oddity with how the extension stores data but in any situation, I will notify our development team of this issue to ensure they are also aware of the problem, just in case there is something we can do.

For what it's worth I took a look at that code.
I don't speak java, or write browser extensions, but that code is just calling a function in the browser- "contextMenus.create()" and then doing some error trapping.

The dev has no control over where the "contextMenus.create()" function is storing things, that's a function of the browser itself.
https://developer.chrome.com/docs/extensions/reference/contextMenus/

I think that this is something that has no real solution other than not clearing the session for Chrome.
Whilst it does seem slightly odd that no-one has reported a similar issue before, that may simply be because there aren't that many browser extension that create context menu entries?

PS. His comment about seeing ads for CCleaner on 'spurious' sites is misdirection, I've seen ads for Microsoft products on dodgy sites, so what?
He's basically just saying - "Stop using CCleaner and you won't have this problem"

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

2 hours ago, nukecad said:

I think that you are upsetting the dev there by suggesting that is coding may be 'incorrect'.

It doesn't seem to be his coding at fault at all, it seems to be the way that Chrome works.
(In testing it I don't get the same issue at all with Firefox).

Rather than saying the coding is 'incorrect' you might be better saying that you've found this issue with Chrome and 3rd party cleaners, and asking if he could take a look.
But TBH as it seems to work unless/until you clear the browser session by using something other than the browser itself he'll probably just suggest that you stop clearing the session that way. (See the PS)

Presumably if you clear your session in Chrome itself the extension still works, so as far as the dev is concerned it's working properly and it's your use of a 3rd party cleaning tool that is the problem. That's a reasonable point of view.
If Chrome itself was removing the context menu entry then that would be a different matter.

As @MeganCCleaner said above:

For what it's worth I took a look at that code.
I don't speak java, or write browser extensions, but that code is just calling a function in the browser- "contextMenus.create()" and then doing some error trapping.

The dev has no control over where the "contextMenus.create()" function is storing things, that's a function of the browser itself.
https://developer.chrome.com/docs/extensions/reference/contextMenus/

I think that this is something that has no real solution other than not clearing the session for Chrome.
Whilst it does seem slightly odd that no-one has reported a similar issue before, that may simply be because there aren't that many browser extension that create context menu entries?

PS. His comment about seeing ads for CCleaner on 'spurious' sites is misdirection, I've seen ads for Microsoft products on dodgy sites, so what?
He's basically just saying - "Stop using CCleaner and you won't have this problem"

Lol 😂 you're right @nukecad 

Not really too bothered about upsetting the Dev - I'm just reporting what I see, and until that GitHub entry, I was happy to leave it be anyway;  as I pretty much said above it isn't a PROBLEM as such - more of an issue that, in a perfect world (!) wouldn't exist.

I actually took slight exception to the suggestion that CCleaner was somehow to "blame" having used it for so long.  (I've seen plenty of those ads too!)

I agree with your "I think that this is something that has no real solution other than not clearing the session for Chrome" - I just have this "OCD" approach to seeing problems through, especially when I was the one to raise them. 

Chrome 95 now has a baked-in feature called "copy link to highlight". It's been available for a while through one of Chrome's experimental flags, but it's currently enabled by default. No extension necessary:
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/10256233

I'm glad I read through this thread though, because I've been having trouble with a different extension becoming non-functional after running custom clean -
WebRTC Control Extension

I would have to disable/re-enable it in the Chrome extensions page and also turn it OFF/ON with the extension icon next to the URL bar before it would respond. If I exclude the folder "C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Service Worker\", it works fine. There are two sub folders in that directory, but I haven't been able to narrow it down to any specific files. I have to exclude everything in the "Service Worker" location for some reason.

On 21/10/2021 at 04:43, SumGuy said:

Chrome 95 now has a baked-in feature called "copy link to highlight". It's been available for a while through one of Chrome's experimental flags, but it's currently enabled by default. No extension necessary:
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/10256233

<snip>

@SumGuy  Unfortunately, that Chrome feature is NOT the same.

It allows for a raw link to the highlighted text for sure.

However, the "Link to Text Fragment " Extension allows for either a raw link, or rich text link

image.png.f5aae8b9d088049c2fe4af3b0c32e6e9.png

The effect is shown in the attached Word doc

Screen Capture test.docx

Ah, I guess I can see the convenience of that. I use "Copy link to highlight" quite a bit, but most places I use it (email, forums, etc.) already have an "insert link" button to customize the text with. I'd rather keep the CCleaner functions enabled than save an extra second with a buggy extension. Maybe Chrome will eventually add rich text as well.