CcleanerPro: Software not deleting Recycle Bin files

KClegal

Guest johnccleaner

This almost always indicates something's corrupted in the Recycle Bin, which causes CCleaner not to be able to clean it out. However, in most situations, this problem can be quite simply resolved by resetting the Recycle Bin.

In Windows 10, you can reset the Recycle Bin as follows:

1. Click on the Windows Start button
  2. Type: Command Prompt
  3. Right-click on the "Command Prompt" entry > click "Run as Administrator"
  4. Type and enter: rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin

If all goes well, you should not receive a status message back from the Command Prompt, just an empty line down and another prompt, as shown in the attached image. If you do receive a message, that means something's gone wrong (most commonly a typo - easy enough to do!) so simply try again.

Once that's done and the corrupted file(s) have been removed by the OS, you should then be able to use CCleaner to keep the Recycle Bin in shape afterwards.

Recycle Bin Fix.png

• Moderators

Of course in this case the corrupted bin is E:\$Recycle.bin and not C:\$Recycle.bin - so you should modify that command line accordingly to reset the bin on E:.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Guest johnccleaner

Apologies, an oversight on my part - it most commonly happens with C: and I entirely failed to notice it wasn't there. Nukecad is absolutely right, please use E:\$Recycle.bin instead!

• 1 year later...

I recently discovered that if you turn off "empty recycle bin" in the custom cleanup settings, then the "Run CCleaner" option on the recycle bin does nothing. I turned this off in the custom clean because it didn't say "securely delete files in the recycle bin" and thought I should leave them there to run when I select the option on the recycle bin itself. After turning this item back on in the custom settings, I closed CCleaner and selected to run it from the context menu of the recycle bin and it worked again as expected.

• Moderators

That is exactly how it should work.

The option to run CCleaner from the recycle bin context menu simply runs CCleaner with you current settings.

You had turned off (unticked) 'Empty Recycle Bin' in the Custom Clean settings, and so the bin wouldn't be emptied by Custom Clean.
ie. Unticking it is saying to Custom Clean -'Don't empty the Bin'.
Once you ticked it again then it started being emptied again.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043