summary of "find dupicate files"

BigOldArt

I ran find duplicate files.  I got a huge list.

Is there a way to get a count of (1) total files including duplicates (2) unique file names i.e.,  only counting a file once (3) number of filenames with no duplicates (4) number of sets of duplicates?

For this purpose duplicate means same name, size, and contents.

• Moderators

To be considered a duplicate the files must match on all of the 'Match by' options that you have set.

To reduce the list of what is found you should set it to ignore System Files. (That will reduce your huge list).
System Files are by far the majority of the duplicates that get found, and those system file duplicates are usually needed by the system to work properly.
Removing any system file duplicates could make things start to work oddly or not work at all. You should only ever consider it if you are an advanced user trying to fix a problem with a system.

In general you should only be searching for duplicates of your own files, photos, music, etc.  - so set it to ignore system files.

You can also use the other ignore options to further filter the list of what are found as duplicates.

The Duplicate Finder lists all duplicates found within your search criteria, so that you can see the pathname of where each duplicate is.
It would not be much use just saying there is a duplicate (or more than one) without telling you where it is located.

Only you can decide what you want to do with any duplicates it finds. (and you may want to keep the duplicates).
For that reason the tool is a Duplicate Finder and not a Duplicate Remover.

PS. If you want to find the number of files on a drive the you can simply use File Explorer.
In FE open the drive to show its contents then on the menu click 'Select All'.
Right click on one of the selected folders and select Properties.
Windows will count the total number of files, and the number of folders, along with the size they all take up, on the drive (it can take some time for Windows to count them all).
image.png
There are other methods of counting files using a Command Window, or Powershell.
https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-count-number-folders-and-files-inside-folder/

I'm not sure if that is what you are looking for though?
For getting statistics of what is on your discs you might want to look at apps such as Wiztree or Windirstat.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thank you for getting back to me.  I guess I did not a clear enough question.

I did not specifically check to omit system files.  I deliberately looked only in the pictures folder. 

Before trying to load the output .txt file into a statistics package, I was looking to see if the wheel had already been invented. I.e, if this information was already in one place.  (If this info  were a header to the screen output others might find it useful in seeing the size of the task of clean up.)

(1) total files including duplicates. Yes I can get this from Explorer. Files looked at by CCleaner.

(2) unique file names i.e.,  only counting a file once. I presume that in the processing CCleaner makes a list of all the unique entities.  Here a unique entity (hit) would be a file that has the same filename.type, size, contents.

(3) number of filenames with no duplicates  #2 minus #4

(4) number of sets of duplicates? In the screen output these are separate groups or sets of files that have the same name, size, and contents.  Eyeballing the .txt file shows separations.