Driver Updater says, that my drivers are from 1970 y

Slawas87

• 1 month later...

Hi Slawas87:

I use the portable build of CCleaner Free which (thankfully) does not include the Driver Updater feature so I can't tell you if there's been any noticeable improvement in detection of available driver updates, but I noticed that the change log for the latest v5.86.9258 (rel. 20-Oct-2021) at https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/version-history now states in part:

Far out, man!

•     We’ve fixed some drivers thinking they were born in the 1970s!

Lawrence Abrams' 28-Sep-2020 BleepingComputer article Windows 10 is Offering a Confusing Mess of Intel Driver Updates notes that Intel driver updates delivered by Windows Update are sometimes deliberately backdated, stating that "In a 2017 blog post, Microsoft explains that using older dates is intentional as it enables Windows to pick the latest driver when multiple drivers are found for the same hardware device."  The 08-Feb-2017 Microsoft developer's blog Why are All Windows Drivers Dated June 21, 2006? also notes that "dates on all Windows drivers are set to June 21, 2006. The version number increases over time, but the timestamp stays put".

I suspect Avast/Cleaner is now displaying the original release date of the driver version that is provided by the original hardware manufacturer (e.g., Intel) and ignoring the "fake" driver timestamp used by Microsoft, but it would be helpful if someone from Avast/CCleaner could explain exactly how they now determine the release date for each driver version number.  It would also be helpful to know if CCleaner v5.86 now recommends a driver update for each particular hardware device ID based solely on the driver version number [i.e., only if the driver version number is higher (larger) that the currently installed driver, regardless of the driver release date].
-----------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H1 build 19043.1288 * Firefox v93.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2109.6 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.4.9.142-1.0.1486 * CCleaner Free Portable v5.86.9258
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 6200