Windows 11 Arrives October 5th

crizal

Confirmed by Microsoft  -- https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2021/08/31/windows-11-available-on-october-5/

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-11-will-be-released-on-october-5th-to-newer-devices/

So far, MS is insisting on a Microsoft Account to set up Win 11 Home if upgrading from Win 10 Home.  Of course, you can always create a local account with admin privileges, sign in to that and then delete the MS account.  Another way around it is to do a clean install, not upgrade from Win 10, and disconnect from the internet during set up.  At last report, that will still work.  Lots still unknown and certainly much can change in the next month or so.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, crizal said:

So far, MS is insisting on a Microsoft Account to set up Win 11 Home if upgrading from Win 10 Home.

We'll have to see how long they insist.

I'm not in any hurry to upgrade as there will undoubtedly as always be bugs. I don't feel like doing a clean install just to bypass having an MS Account which I've never had, never want, and will never create just to get Win11. As stubborn as they are some of us users are equally stubborn. I just wonder how many will be switching to Linux, even though our computers are compatible.

@Andavari  I totally agree regarding the MS account.  It is rather interesting that MS does give the option for a local account during set up if it's Win 11 Pro.  I'm in no rush to upgrade as Win 10 will be supported through 2025.  

• Moderators

I got caught when first upgrading to Win 10 and signed up for a MS account, not quite compulsory but they made it bloody difficult not to.

As @crizal suggests I soon switched it to a local account, and deleted the MS account.
Did you know it takes six months to delete a MS account? Whilst they nag you to change your mind and keep it.

Just like XP and 7, Windows 10 will continue in use well after it's EOL, as long as the machines keep working.

Maybe COP26 should have a blast at Microsofts policy making lots of perfectly usable kit 'obsolete'?
Lots of kit will be junked as users buy new kit that supports Win 11, and the environmental impact of manufacturing that new kit will not be negligible.
Perhaps of more concern, lots of the old kit will be burnt on bonfires in India/Africa to extract the copper, aluminium, gold and other metals in there, it already happens.
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/ghana-ewaste-dump-electronics
Lots of burning plastic, and 'exotic' materials used in the chips, putting all kinds of toxic fumes into the atmosphere.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

1 hour ago, nukecad said:

I got caught when first upgrading to Win 10 and signed up for a MS account, not quite compulsory but they made it bloody difficult not to.

As @crizal suggests I soon switched it to a local account, and deleted the MS account.
Did you know it takes six months to delete a MS account? Whilst they nag you to change your mind and keep it.

When Win 10 first came out, I never knew about local accounts.  When I learned about it, I set one up, deleted the MS account from my computer and never looked back.  For kicks and giggles, I just checked and my MS account is still there, in the cloud, untouched for all these years.  When I do decide to upgrade, if the account is still needed for set up, I'll use it and then delete it again from my machine.   

My biggest peeve is why is MS giving a local account option if you're upgrading from Win 10 Pro and not Win 10 Home?  

• Moderators
19 hours ago, nukecad said:

Maybe COP26 should have a blast at Microsofts policy making lots of perfectly usable kit 'obsolete'?

It's a stupid decision on their part with global shortages still going on, and they probably know that.

• Moderators
17 hours ago, crizal said:

My biggest peeve is why is MS giving a local account option if you're upgrading from Win 10 Pro and not Win 10 Home?  

Just to annoy people using Win10 Home, but moreover to get analytics I'd suspect. I really don't see the importance of having an MS Acccount at all, even though they push it but they've never given one compelling reason to have one from what I've encountered - although probably at one point sooner than later it will be a cloud-based OS entirely.

With it not required for Win10 Pro users that possibly bought a license they may deem them a paying customer if someone did a paid upgrade and it's probably best to not piss off someone willing to pay for the OS.

23 hours ago, nukecad said:

Lots of kit will be junked as users buy new kit that supports Win 11, and the environmental impact of manufacturing that new kit will not be negligible.
Perhaps of more concern, lots of the old kit will be burnt on bonfires in India/Africa to extract the copper, aluminium, gold and other metals in there, it already happens.
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/ghana-ewaste-dump-electronics
Lots of burning plastic, and 'exotic' materials used in the chips, putting all kinds of toxic fumes into the atmosphere.

This may be the biggest push yet for folks to move to Linux. Certainly it is for me. It will be interesting to watch the sites that track such things.
This is one of my favorites: https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

40 minutes ago, login123 said:

This may be the biggest push yet for folks to move to Linux. Certainly it is for me. It will be interesting to watch the sites that track such things.
This is one of my favorites: https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share

You have a valid point, although I'm on a slightly different road.  I've been using Windows computers my entire life and will continue to use them, knowing full well that no operating system is 100% perfect.  A few months ago, I got one of the new Apple iMac desktops with their new M1 chip.  I did research to find answers to questions I thought of and by the time the iMac arrived, I pretty much knew my way around.  During set up, it asked for an Apple ID or to create one.  I didn't want one then, so, I simply checked the box that said "not now".  Absolutely no nagging.  Of course if I want to install apps from the Apple Store I'll need to get an Apple ID and I'll cross that road when I have to.  What really impressed me is that the iMac just works.  No errors, no problems (so far, fingers crossed).  Eventually, I might investigate Linux.  I may be a senior citizen, but I'm not too old to learn something new.

I do find it ironic, however, that much of Windows 11 looks like Mac.  Notification area in the center bottom, rounded corners on open programs and even the Win 11 mail client looks like the Apple one.  

• Moderators
9 hours ago, crizal said:

A few months ago, I got one of the new Apple iMac desktops with their new M1 chip.

I've looked at tons of reviews of those and for the money (don't get the base model) it's very compelling for the AIO desktop version. Although for me at 24 inches it's too small, at a minimum 27 or 28 inches it would've been at a sweet spot size-wise and more enticing, but I suppose they'll eventually remedy that. The Mac Mini is also rather enticing!

Win11 does look like they played a little copycat of Mac OS and some Linux distros. They've been known to plagiarize other peoples work "making it their own", but it's glaringly obvious to those in the know.