Ccleaner Help

jqa2003

• Admin

That is unexpected.  The maximum frequency of the scheduled cleaning (if you have set it up under Options > Scheduling) is daily.  It may pop up more frequently if you have it set to clean Edge every time it closes (under Options > Smart Cleaning), and to notify you of the fact, and you are opening and closing Edge frequently.  But that does not sound like it is the case from your description.

Can you confirm:

• Your version of Windows (eg: Windows 10 21H1, etc)
  • Your version of Edge (the three dots > Help > About Microsoft Edge)
  • Your version of CCleaner
  • Were there any other apps that you were actively running at the time (possible that one of them might have been using an embedded browser)?

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

• Moderators

also some windows store app now run edge (facebook for one) and ask for cleaning after they close.  Are you exiting any program when you see those alerts

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

2 hours ago, Dave CCleaner said:

That is unexpected.  The maximum frequency of the scheduled cleaning (if you have set it up under Options > Scheduling) is daily.  It may pop up more frequently if you have it set to clean Edge every time it closes (under Options > Smart Cleaning), and to notify you of the fact, and you are opening and closing Edge frequently.  But that does not sound like it is the case from your description.

Can you confirm:

• Your version of Windows (eg: Windows 10 21H1, etc)
  • Your version of Edge (the three dots > Help > About Microsoft Edge)
  • Your version of CCleaner
  • Were there any other apps that you were actively running at the time (possible that one of them might have been using an embedded browser)?

Windows is 10.21H1

Edge is Version 92.902.84 (office build) (64 bit)

Ccleaner is V5.84.9126(64 bit)

I closed edge and got notification the Ccleaner cleaned edge then when I opened Google chrome it popped up again and again 2seconds later while I was on Chrome.  It used to pop up when ever I closed Edge  andnow it pops up no matter what browser I am using saying it has cleaned edge 

• Moderators

As Edge is now Chromium based this sounds like some mix up between Edge chromium and Chrome itself.

My thinking is that Edge is leaving something running (or restarting something) in the background that opening Chrome itself then closes again; thus giving the message that Edge has closed (again).

Could you tell us if you have any extensions/add-ons/plug-ins enabled in Edge?

And then any in Chrome?

PS. Those notifications can be turned off - but it's better to find what is causing them and stop that from causing them in the first place.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

4 hours ago, nukecad said:

As Edge is now Chromium based this sounds like some mix up between Edge chromium and Chrome itself.

My thinking is that Edge is leaving something running (or restarting something) in the background that opening Chrome itself then closes again; thus giving the message that Edge has closed (again).

Could you tell us if you have any extensions/add-ons/plug-ins enabled in Edge?

And then any in Chrome?

PS. Those notifications can be turned off - but it's better to find what is causing them and stop that from causing them in the first place.

No I don't have any extensions/.add  -ons /plug-ins enabled in Edge

• Moderators

Could you give us a screenshot of your Smart Cleaning settings?

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Sorry but that's the wrong page, the Smart Cleaning like this:

image.png

PS. You can use 'alt+prt scr' to screenshot just the active window rather than the full screen.
Or use 'Snip & Sketch' from the Start menu to caputre a smaller area like I did there, once you've captured a snip you can paste it straight into your post.

If you could also capture the notification that you are seeing then that should help us see just what is causing it.

• Moderators

Your image shows the first page of ccleaner settings, click the smart cleaning button sixth button down

6 hours ago, jqa2003 said:

Sorry I don't know what you are on about that is the screenshot for smart cleaning

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Look at the things highlighted in blue.
In your screenshot it's "Options" and "Settings".
in my screenshot it's "Options" and "Smart Cleaning".

• Moderators

That's good,
so you have all your browsers set to clean when closed, and to notify you that the cleaning has been done.

You have two options;

1. We can keep working to try and find out why your Edge Chromium is constantly opening and closing on your machine.
    (That could be a fault in Edge itself, or another Microsoft app that is opening/closing Edge on a schedule, or a bit of both).

2. You can ignore that it's happening and simply tell CCleaner not to give you any notification about Edge Chromium being closed.
    (That doesn't cure what is causing it to keep opening/closing but stops ccleaner telling/nagging you about it).

If you choose the second one then on that screen where it says "Automatically clean on closing with notification" next to Edge Chromium click the little down-arrow.
You can then choose from:
"Automatically clean on closing without notification" - Smart Cleaning  will keep cleaning it (every time it closes) but won't give you the notification.
"Disabled" - Smart Cleaning will not keep cleaning it. You'll need to run CCleaner manually to clean it.
(The other 3 options there will all give you a notification about something).

image.png

Agian: Note that if you use one of those option you are not stopping whatever keeps opening/closing Edge Chromium, you are just telling CCleaner not to tell you about it.

Now as to what is the cause of the problem, you last post may give a clue:

..... message that Ccleaner has cleaned Edge This happened as soon as I got on computer and before I opened Edge this morning

That could indicate that Edge is trying to load in the background when you start your machine, but is crashing for some reason.
That isn't so unusual and you can try some of the fixes here:
Note that the first thing it tells you to do is run CCleaner, I think you can safely say you've already done that, - but do 'Restart' your machine before trying any of the other fixes.
Note - that's a "Restart"  (Click the Windows Start icon, click Power, click Restart) and not a Shutdown.
Then try the other fixes one at a time, checking after each one to see if Edge is now behaving itself.

https://windows101tricks.com/microsoft-edge-closes-immediately/

image.png

Ccleaner screanshot1.png

• Moderators

@jqa2003

I assume that's your screenshot of the notification that wouldn't post for you?
At least we can see it now, 😄

For some reason it seems to have now attached itself to the bottom of my latest post, and my latest screenshot has also repeated itself.
The forum software occasionally works in mysterious ways.

I'll leave them where they are for now, I don't want to edit that post further while I ask the Forum Administrator take a look at what happened.

10 hours ago, nukecad said:

@jqa2003

I assume that's your screenshot of the notification that wouldn't post for you?
At least we can see it now, 😄

For some reason it seems to have now attached itself to the bottom of my latest post, and my latest screenshot has also repeated itself.
The forum software occasionally works in mysterious ways.

I'll leave them where they are for now, I don't want to edit that post further while I ask the Forum Administrator take a look at what happened.

It was another notification The other one was taken 1/2 hr after I closed Edge    Anyway I have decided to disable the notification.  Thanks for the help

• Moderators
11 hours ago, jqa2003 said:

Anyway I have decided to disable the notification.

That's your choice, and the easiest way to stop the notifications.

But you should be aware that whatever is causing Edge to open/close every 5 minutes like that will still be happening; you just won't have CCleaner telling you about it.

Whatever is causing the odd behaviour with Edge may also give you other odd problems elsewhere. (Or Edge may just fix itself with the next Windows cumulative update?)
If/when you have time it may be worth looking at those fixes for Edge in the link I gave, just to be on the safe(er) side.

PS. The issue with the screenshot attachment being in the wrong post (my post instead of yours) is a bug in the software that the forum runs on. I've also seen it happen on another forum (Malwarebytes Forum) that runs on the same forum software. It's very unusual, but something that the makers of the forum software will have to look at.