CCleaner 5.84 constantly steals the focus

jvidal

Hi!

I took me a while to figure this is out, but I finally did. When ccleaner is minimized to the system tray, it constantly (every 30s or so) steals the focus, so that -for example- I can not scroll a web page or type anything, because the input is not directed to the browser anymore.

For example, watching a video on youtube in full screen, after a while, i can not return to normal mode by pressinng ESC, it doesn't work, i have to click on the image to get the focus back to the browser and then i can press ESC.

Same thing happens when watcching a video, after a few seconds the mouse wheel stops responding and I have to click somewhere in the page to get the focus back.

I tried a million things until I closed the systray icon: immediately fixed the issue.

this is EXTREMELY ANNOYING and it disrupts whatever I'm doing every 30s or so.

and it's not only the browser. For example, I open the task manager and after a few seconds, i can not scroll through the list of running processes with the mouse wheel, because ccleaner stole the focus.

and so on...

Edit: It also happens while minimized to the taskbar, you  can phisycally see  the focus go to ccleaner (the ccleaner taskbar icon gets hilighted by itself)

Please fix it!

• Moderators

@Dave CCleanerI can confirm a variation of this bug.

Yesterday after installing 5.84 I left the GUI open and every so often (I'd say about a minute?) it would jump to the front of any other open windows.
A bit like a delayed 'Always-on-top'.

I normally close the GUI, so it was just luck that I hadn't that time and caught the odd behaviour.
I just shrugged and closed the CCleaner GUI. I didn't notice it stealing focus after the GUI was closed.

It's not happening for me today though, I'll see if I can do domething to recreate it.

PS. With something so regular I would have suspected Smart Cleaning? But I wasn't running Smart Cleaning.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

I can't recreate it now.

I'm thinking that it was probably related to yesterdays licence server overload?

It may have been that the updated CCleaner was trying to check the licence information, but because of the server issue was unable to complete the check and authenticate the key.
So if CCleaner was left running (ie. Smart Cleaning, Automatic Updates, minimised) it was periodically trying to check the licence again, and stealing focus whilst it did that.

In which case closing and reopening CCleaner would/should have completed the check and cleared it.

@jvidalis your CCleaner still stealing focus today?

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Admin
39 minutes ago, nukecad said:

I'm thinking that it was probably related to yesterdays licence server overload?

Updated to CC5.84 last night and didn't see anything untoward happening with focus stealing - or this morning.  Although by that time the server load was a bit more reasonable.  Can you remember the time of day you were seeing it jumping?

Your conclusion about licence check retries seems logical - though it should not be taking focus when it does so (in theory).  We'll keep an eye on this - we're currently working to make CCleaner less intrusive - not more so.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, Dave CCleaner said:

Can you remember the time of day you were seeing it jumping?

The timestamp on the installer downloaded from builds  is 16:32 UK time, so it would have been shortly after that.

• Moderators

@jvidallet's see if we can track down just what is causing this for you.

At the moment you are the only one reporting this problem, and so the more details we can get from you the better we may be able to work out what is happening.

First the general questions:
What version of Windows are you using, if it's Windows 10 then which build? (eg. 1909, 20H1, 20H2, 21H1, 21H2).
What antivirus are you using, if it's not Defender then which version of your antivirus?

For CCleaner:
Are you using CCleaner Free or Pro version?
Do you use Health Check or Custom Clean?
Do you have Smart Ceaning turned on? If so then what are the settings? (A screenshot would help).
What are your settings in Options>Updates?

• Moderators

I suspect that it's a setting in your Win 7 then, but without further details there is not a lot anyone can do other than guess.

• Moderators

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com