settings for firefox browser plugins are keep reverting

DMecca

Trying to disable the firefox browser plugins using the browser plug in tool in ccleaner... for amazon, ebay, etc.

First of all, the option to delete is greyed out and not clickable... only option is to disable...

However, even though I can disable these plugins, the next time I check all the plugins are re-enabled and I cannot figure out why.

However, the plugins I've downloaded that have not come preinstalled in FF such as ublock origin... the setting for those stick... it's just the rest that re-enable themselves...

Any ideas?

I'm using the latest versions (as of today) of CCleaner Pro, Win 10, and Firefox.. I can look up exact version #'s if that would help...

Thx!

ccc.jpg

• Moderators

those are built into firefox and can't be messed with if I remember correctly

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

As far as I know you cannot remove them their baked into the browser, but if you want to risk it report back i'd love to know.

I wouldn't delete it though, i'd just move it out of the folder

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

As Nergal points out there are some extensions which are baked in to Firefox and can't be removed. (Which is why the button in CCleaner is greyed out).

If you disable them with CCleaner then Firefox will simply re-enable them next time you open it, Firefox wants/needs them to be there.
(If they stay disabled day-to-day then that will probably be because you didn't close and reopen Firefox).

Deleting the .xpi file from the profile in appdata won't work - Firefox will simply recreate it again next time you open Firefox.
(I use that fact to do a quick cleaning of certain Firefox caches, etc. I delete them from the profile, Firefox recreates them anew).

Those addons don't even show as plugins/extensions in Firefox itself.

The particular ones that you mention, Amazon, e-bay, etc. are search engine extensions and do show as 'alternative search engines' in Firefox; but even there they can only be hidden from the list and not fully removed.
ie. if I click the 'Remove' button here in Firefox the Amazon search engine will be removed from the list shown to you in Firefox. But it would still be there and still enabled just not shown in that Firefox list, - and so CCleaner will show it as still being there and enabled:
image.png

image.png

image.png

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043