Need Help CCleaner Pro Starts but quits after a few seconds

iNF

I really need some help! 

CCleaner pro stopped working all together, at first the program disappeared all together and current version installer would quit before installing, I have managed to get it to start again but it closes after a few seconds. I have tried everything I could think of and everything I saw online.

I have Tried:

Updating Windows 10 to version 20H2

Disabling, Making exceptions, uninstalling, and updating Symantec Endpoint Protection

Scanning with Microsoft Safety Scanner, FRST64, and a few others

Checked the windows registry "HKEY_LOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\"

Removing all CCleaner, and Piriform entries and trying to reinstall

Ran SFC / Scannow, and DISM all refresh fix commands, and Scandisk

Installing Older Versions of CCleaner, silm, portable versions, and renaming the CCleaner64.exe to something else

In event viewer I am seeing:

Faulting application name: CCleaner64.exe, version: 5.83.0.9050, time stamp: 0x60f18f49
Faulting module name: CCleaner64.exe, version: 5.83.0.9050, time stamp: 0x60f18f49
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x0000000000c1caf1
Faulting process id: 0xb38
Faulting application start time: 0x01d79323fcaf11b5
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe
Report Id: 6ab808eb-0b01-4908-913d-8a1126926b5b
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

please see attached ccbug.zip with screen recording gif of what's going on

ccbug.zip

• Moderators

"Exception code: 0xc0000409" is a Stack Buffer Overflow error, but why your machine is throwing this error is another question.

You appear to have done the usual trouble shooting, but a couple of things I noticed there-

Firstly you say you updated to 20H2 which is not the latest Windows 10 fully released version, the latest fully released version is 21H1.
Did you mean you updated to 21H2? That is an Insider version.
Insider versions are still in beta and so may throw some odd problems.

If you are on the Windows Insider program and are struggling with Error 0xc0000409, then you should not be surprised to learn that the issue is somehow connected to your computer not running a stable or bug-free build of Windows 10. Well, you are hardly the only individual on the Windows Insider program who has encountered the error. It seems certain Windows Insider builds have code that acts as a blocker when systems try to install a new update. Here, a repair install or clean install of Windows is required to fix things.

TBH I expect that is what you are seeing, but a couple of other things -

Did you do the DISM before SFC? You mention them the other way round.
You should do the DISM first, DISM refreshes/updates the image files which are then used by SFC.

Did you do a 'Restart' after uninstalling CCleaner but before installing a new one, did you download a new installer?
That's a 'Restart' because with Windows 10 Restart clears more than Shutdown/Boot.
And download a new CCleaner installer in case the one you already have somehow got corrupted when you downloaded it.
You can get a fresh installer from here: https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

0xc0000409 can also be caused by a Firewall block.
Did you try running CCleaner with Symantec disabled/uninstalled?
Did you check on the Symantec website that you have the latest version? (Not 'Check for Updates' in the programme itself, we have seen those be wrong with various AVs).

This talks about the 0xc0000409 error occuring with a Windows Update but the advice is still valid for all instances of 0xc0000409
https://www.fileinspect.com/blog/fix-windows-10-error-0xc0000409/

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Admin

Hi @iNF, thanks for flagging this. 

Could you kindly contact the support team via support@ccleaner.com, and provide them with any CCleaner files from the CrashDump folder so they can investigate this furtherly? 

You can find these if you click the Windows button and copy paste the below text to take you to your crash reports folder.

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\CrashDumps

If you have any issues with this support will be more than happy to assist you further

Thanks