CCleaner automatically closing again.

Bastet

This has been reported before but the problem has returned.
When Smart clean is enabled the CCleaner icon disappears from the Notification area taskbar. I have to open CCleaner again to return it.
To conform this I’ve turned smart clean off & the icon remains. 
I’ve uninstalled using Revo uninstaller & installed a fresh version but the problem remains.
Running the latest version.

Virginia/Bastet.
Windows 11 Pro 22H2. CCleaner Pro. MalwareBytes Pro. Defender. Macrium Reflect Home.

• Admin

Hi @Bastet

Simplest solution might be to uninstall CCleaner, restart the computer, then reinstall it, as that often fixes this problem.

You might want to first go to Options > Advanced > check "Save all settings to INI file", then copy that INI file somewhere first, so you can easily copy it back and restore your files.

(I would suggest making sure it's not in the CCleaner folder after uninstalling it and restarting the computer, or even deleting that folder altogether, however, just to try to get as clean of a start as possible. Once this is  verified that  is working, you  can then copy the INI file back into the CCleaner folder to get their settings back)

Thanks but that was the first thing I tried.

I’m suspecting MalwareBytes as I set this as the default AV software. I set Defender back as default & the problem didn’t occur. I’ve now set MB back as default so will see what happens.

Virginia/Bastet.
Windows 11 Pro 22H2. CCleaner Pro. MalwareBytes Pro. Defender. Macrium Reflect Home.

Thanks for your reply. I contacted support last week but other than asking for further information I have heard nothing further.
I’ve just sent another reply mentioning the problem only seems to occur with MB set as default AV.

Virginia/Bastet.

• Admin

Just by way of a quick update on this, we have had a few cases of "disappearing" or mysteriously stopping CCleaner reported - not many, but it is an investigation priority .  These are all being passed up to Level 3 support in an attempt to replicate and RCA them.  So the more information we can get from any users experiencing a similar problem the better - so thanks for any details you are able to provide.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

Thanks. I believe I too reported on that thread.
I can confirm I’m my case the problem seems to be MalwareBytes being set as the default AV by choosing to register the program under security centre.

I’ll keep Defender as the main AV & monitor things.

Virginia/Bastet.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been seeing this issue on my end as well for quite some time however only now to the point when I decided to check the forums to see if it was reported. On my end it seems to be linked to smart cleaning as I have it set to "Automatically clean on closing with notification" for Edge, IE, FF, & Chrome. I have it disabled for Edge Chromium.  My default browser is Edge Chromium.

I just saw it was missing from the taskbar, I called up the application and then closed it as it showed on the taskbar. I opened Chrome (one tab) to google.com and closed it which showed the cleaning animation however no pop-up to show the task was completed and when I moved my mouse over the icon it disappeared. 

• Admin

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback and supporting information, we have been able to isolate the scenario where this occurs.  The developers have a fix for impacted users which should be in the next CCleaner release.

There are some circumstances where CCleaner might legitimately "disappear" based on user preferences.  If both Options > Smart Cleaning and Options > Updates are switched off then CCleaner is being instructed not to run in the background unless explicitly opened.  If Options > Settings > "Run a one-time clean when you start Windows" is on, then it will wake up to clean things and then go away.

I mention that for completeness - fairly certain that is not what is being described here.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup

Great to hear. In my case the problem returned after 5 days after changing to using Defender.

Virginia/Bastet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin
11 hours ago, Anubis2842 said:

Will version 5.84.9143 correct the issue of ccleaner disappear from the taskbar as I have seen this behavior since I had reported it on 1/9/21?

On 28/08/2021 at 16:47, Dave CCleaner said:

The developers have a fix for impacted users which should be in the next CCleaner release.

Scheduled for the 5.85 release in about a week from now.  (5.84.9143 was an extra patch on 5.84.9126 that was not part of the schedule mentioned in my post at the end of August).  It seems like there are two separate scenarios that can result in this issue, and at least one of them will be resolved in CC5.85.  TBD on the other other (which I believe may be slightly more niche).

• Admin

@Bastet @Anubis2842 there were a couple of unhandled exception (crash) scenarios that were fixed in yesterday's 5.85 release (https://www.ccleaner.com/knowledge/ccleaner-v5859170). Please let us know if your issue persists after updating to CCleaner 5.85.

• 2 weeks later...

All now seems fine but I’m tracking a potential bug since the update.
CCleaner no longer automatically updates, when I open the program I’m asked to enter my license details, I do so & then check for updates but it appears that nothing happens - no confirmation popup saying there’s an update or that it’s up to date. The first I know of this is the CCleaner icon is missing from the taskbar/notification area.

I’ve clean installed CCleaner using Revo to remove the program completely & will see what happens whenever there’s a new update.

Edited by Bastet

Virginia/Bastet.