Recovering data from drive removed from blue screening laptop

Guilfdon

Apologies in advance if I use incorrect terminology. If I'm unclear, please attempt to answer anyway, or let me know if I need to provide more information.

I have removed a Seagate SSHD (500GB) from a blue screening Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 (Or, more accurately, currently failing to run Windows 10!). I am intending to attempt to reinstall Windows from external installation media. I believe it is possible to do this with an option to retain data. HOWEVER, to be on the safe side, I want to recover my files from the drive and store them safely before I start. I have removed the SSHD and connected it to another laptop with a SATA to USB connector. I thought I'd just be able to browse, drag and drop. But no such luck.

The other laptop is showing the following external drives:

E:/Lenovo

D:

Through Windows file explorer, E: is showing as empty (although file Explorer properties show it has used 102Mb of 25Gb). D: is showing as empty - 0GB used, and 0GB available.

I don't know whether Recuva is even the right tool for me to be using. I want to get back all my .doc, .xls, .pdf etc files - NOT actually deleted files. Just files I can't get at right now.

When trying to access the drives, Recuva gave error messages many times . It has now completed scans of both, and shown me a large number of deleted files on D:, and a smaller number on E: ... But none of them is what I am looking for. Am I doing something wrong? Or is there another tool that might be better at figuring out how to get to the normal file structure on the disk, so I can access the "My Documents" folder? OR ... Do I just have to bite the bullet, attempt the Windows reinstall and hope that does the trick?

All answers hugely appreciated.

• Moderators

You could try...

Open Recuva, if you are in wizard mode close the welcome window using the top r/h x. This should put you in Advanced Mode. In Options/Actions check the Scan for Non-Deleted Files box and the Restore Folder Structure box below. Run Recuva on both partitions, it will be quite fast.

If this finds your files then you can restore them to somewhere safe with folder integrity maintained. You may also restore some deleted files as well, but this is a small price to pay. You can recover all files found to be safe, but those files with no folder strucure (all under ?) will be deleted files, as all non-deleted files should have an intact folder structure. It's worth a try.

Thank you for the reply, Augeas. I don't seem to have a "Wizard mode", or if I do, I can't see it. I can only select a drive, and hit scan. I can't see an option to do the things you said - "Scan for non-deleted" and "Restore Folder Structure". Is this because I am using the free version? Do I need to purchase the full version? If I am going to do that, what are the chances it will do what I need?

Also, I note that it is really hit and miss whether Recuva can access this drive. If I keep trying, it eventually manages it. Wondering now whether my main problem is this drive is knackered?!

Thanks again for the help so far, and for any more you can offer!

Ignore previous post. I have figured that bit out. Thank you again Augeas - was exactly as you described. I was just being dumb.

HOWEVER ... When I select those two options, I consistently get the error message:

"Failed to scan the following drives:

D: Unable to determine file system type"

... Does anyone have any idea what is causing this error message, and if there is any way to get to the files if this is what it is reporting?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest johnccleaner

That error means, well, exactly what it sounds like - Recuva was not able to properly identify the file system on the drive as one of the supported types. (I would assume it was originally NTFS, which is supported.)

That, unfortunately, fits with your earlier report: "D: is showing as empty - 0GB used, and 0GB available." as that most certainly suggests that the file system is damaged, in any event. 

You can potentially "fix" this by reformating the drive (with a Quick Format, not a Full Format!) with a valid file system, which would give Recuva the framework it needs to work. However, doing so can potentially destroy data at the best of times, and if the drive is actually mechanically damaged, this could lead to worse problems. Unfortunately, without that being done successfully, Recuva will not be able to read the drive.

(You seem to imply that it's sometimes able to see the file system and sometimes not; if that is indeed the case, then that would make me extremely concerned - I would power down the computer and disconnect the drive IMMEDIATELY if so to avoid further damage, as that would seem like a very strong indicator of an electronic or mechanical failure.)

A safer option might be to have a data recovery firm look at the drive, though this can be a considerable cost. I'd also let them know as much as you can about the history of the drive and its problems so that they can give you a proper estimate of how likely they think it is that they'll be able to retrieve data from it.