Driver Updater Crashed my PC DO NOT USE

reservoirjack

I've been a loyal CCleaner user for years. Never had any problems so I wanted to buy the product. Signed up for the trial, ran the driver updater, trusted it to update the correct drivers, and suddenly my computer would only restart to blue screen. System restore points wouldn't work either. 

I fixed this by restarting in safe mode with networking, opening CCleaner, going to driver updater again, "fix this problem", only to find CCleaner can only restore drivers it originally installed...  So the advice on their website did not help me one bit.

Next, I went to the windows search bar and typed recovery, found system restore, and that's where I'm at. Last night the system could not restore from command prompt, but hopefully it can restore from safe mode since I got it to reboot.

CCleaner, remove the genius that developed the driver updater and instead have him at the ready to "chat now" with  working chat now option so toy can help your users with this? This could sink your company. It's costing your basic PC user a lot of money to FIX YOUR PROBLEM. 

Wow. Not able to revert the drivers or system restore. I can't attach a picture, but did get a specific error this time. It says -

"What failed: RTKVHD64.sys" 

The same happened to me
I am now reinstalling Win10, loosing all my personal data and installed programs.
I am lucky to have a backup from only a few days ago.

driver update is fatal, do not use it.

On 04/08/2021 at 14:04, reservoirjack said:

I've been a loyal CCleaner user for years. Never had any problems so I wanted to buy the product. Signed up for the trial, ran the driver updater, trusted it to update the correct drivers, and suddenly my computer would only restart to blue screen. System restore points wouldn't work either. 

I fixed this by restarting in safe mode with networking, opening CCleaner, going to driver updater again, "fix this problem", only to find CCleaner can only restore drivers it originally installed...  So the advice on their website did not help me one bit.

Next, I went to the windows search bar and typed recovery, found system restore, and that's where I'm at. Last night the system could not restore from command prompt, but hopefully it can restore from safe mode since I got it to reboot.

CCleaner, remove the genius that developed the driver updater and instead have him at the ready to "chat now" with  working chat now option so toy can help your users with this? This could sink your company. It's costing your basic PC user a lot of money to FIX YOUR PROBLEM. 

Wow. Not able to revert the drivers or system restore. I can't attach a picture, but did get a specific error this time. It says -

"What failed: RTKVHD64.sys" 

Bruh all you had to do is temporarily boot into "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" mode and see IF it boots, if it does then test audio, then try a normal reboot, if it BSODs then just reboot back into "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" and revert the Realtek driver to the previous version or simply uninstall it entirely, this isn't Piriforms problem your PC crashed because windows apparently didn't want to boot the machine with a new Realtek driver that hasn't gotten approved by microsoft yet, that's literally WHY your pc would refuse to boot (unless via disable driver verification mode).

This driver RTKVHD64.sys causes so many BSOD's for so many people all the time, this has nothing to do with Piriforms product and what it does, next time maybe go search up google about exactly what driver it is, why it crashed and what to do rather than post on the forums saying "DO NOT USE" and scaring people for no reason.

I just updated my drivers, which included Realtek audio as well (yes, RTKVHD64.sys driver is a part of the update) and rebooted just fine.  Some people get boned by it, some do not, it's just down to luck and your pc model and age, blame Realtek

On 05/08/2021 at 06:06, AnFe said:

The same happened to me
I am now reinstalling Win10, loosing all my personal data and installed programs.
I am lucky to have a backup from only a few days ago.

driver update is fatal, do not use it.

bulls**t, see my reply above to the other user, that Realtek driver is always causing problems for people, this isn't a fatal problem done by Ccleaner, all you had to do is boot in "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" and see IF it does boot and you do have audio, after that a normal reboot should work, if not reboot in that same mode and uninstall the damn drivers and let windows reinstall them instead, it'll be an slightly older version but it'll be a verified by microsoft one so.

Edited by Demonoidmaster

• 3 months later...

The same happened to me. After using CCleaner's Driver Updater, many programs became disfunctional, all 4 USP ports stopped working, a sheer nightmare. It seems I have spend hundreds of pounds to buy a replacement laptop. I employ a real expert for help in this matter - and all he could finally recommend is to re-install Windows 10 from scratch. The latest version is to come out 0n November 10, 2021.

This disastrous problem turned me from CCleaner aficionado to CCleaner foe. 

It seems to me adding the Driver Updater created so many problems for CCleaner users that these problems now outweigh the benefits of this software.

Adding Driver Updater  ruined CCleaner's reputation for a long time. 

If they knew that RealTek drivers create unsurmountable problems - all I can say is why ?

Does anyone have an answer what to do if "Reverting drivers does not conclude for more than 2 days?  all along facing the warning "Please do not disconnect from the internet or turn off your PC,

CCleaner does not provide email support (and of course no phone support either) - on this respect they are worse than Microsoft

I will NOT renew my subscription - fellow users take heed!

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, panello said:

CCleaner does not provide email support

Yes they do, and they are usually pretty quick to help you sort out any problems:

Send your email to support@ccleaner.com
(Laurence CCleaner also gave it in his post above).

It's best if you can use the same email address that you used when purchasing/registering CCleaner.
(or at least let them know what it was so that they can easily find your registration).

• Thanks 1

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

I've been a fan of CCleaner for many years. I had an older version and everything was working fine. I bought the new update 2 days ago to clean my new i9...  I ran the drivers updater.... My Windows crashed beyond repair. 

Now that I think about it, my laptop is really clean as I needed to recover from an image. Clean like a brand new!

Yann 

• 4 months later...

currently facing this issue as well but don't even have the luxury of booting into any of the safe modes cus they're all BSOD as well. so disappointing and time consuming. at risk of forking out my own money just to fix this to retrieve my data since not all of them are backed up, seeing that a reinstall is the only way. bit wild how a singular software can affect the operation of a whole system..