Update by largest version number, not latest date

Anthony Dean

Please can you change the (or allow user option to select this preference)

To only allow driver updater to use higher version numbers - not just later release dates.

I have seen a few drivers that have two very different version numbers, one similar to installed and one very different.

And I would prefer to stay on similar versions (aka restrict to minor release changes, not major upgrades).

AKA

Allow from 10.1.0 to 10.1.1 or 10.2 but not say to 11.0

it should also block any version lower than currently installed, e.g. if it has 10.2.1 on already, something like 10.0.12 should not be sugegsted even if it has later release date.

Kind Regards

Tony Dean

PS. That all said, the driver installer is very good.

Guest MeganCCleaner

Hi @Anthony Dean Exactly as you've noticed, we use release dates as criteria for driver updates, rather than version numbers, and in some cases a newer driver may actually have a smaller version number because of how different manufacturers use different numbering ranges.

For example, for a Intel device on Windows 10, the version of a default Microsoft driver can be 10.0.19041.1 (date: 06/21/2006), but the newer driver supplied by Intel may have a driver version 9.4.0.1025 (date 07/31/2013). The Intel driver is preferred because its release date has a higher priority.

However I can definitely understand your concern with this and I also feel as though it would be ideal for the end user to have an option to select their preference; I'll send all of this feedback directly over to our management team for further review, and as a suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/07/2021 at 09:09, MeganCCleaner said:

Hi @Anthony Dean Exactly as you've noticed, we use release dates as criteria for driver updates, rather than version numbers, and in some cases a newer driver may actually have a smaller version number because of how different manufacturers use different numbering ranges.

For example, for a Intel device on Windows 10, the version of a default Microsoft driver can be 10.0.19041.1 (date: 06/21/2006), but the newer driver supplied by Intel may have a driver version 9.4.0.1025 (date 07/31/2013). The Intel driver is preferred because its release date has a higher priority.

However I can definitely understand your concern with this and I also feel as though it would be ideal for the end user to have an option to select their preference; I'll send all of this feedback directly over to our management team for further review, and as a suggestion.

Sadly it's something the average clueless consumer wouldn't really understand from the start that a newer driver may have a lower version number (if by the same brand or updating over the default one from Windows 10

Honestly people don't look at the information that Ccleaner clearly shows if they would take the time to look, the average consumer will just click scan then click update without a care in the world then complain when theres something they don't like but could have avoided if they took the time to read what's in plain sight at the click of a button

Edited by Demonoidmaster

• Moderators

CCleaner is pushed as being for the average user...supposed to take the strain and worry away. (I didn't say average clueless user as you called them)

An experienced user, with know how,  would perhaps not use Driver Updater.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com