Ccleaner latest version hangs and wiped out all my thumbnails on my mp4 files

Chameleon 1

After this happened I tried another download and the same thing happened. I use Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ( latest version) all updates installed, when I start the program where it clears the cookies, it gets about 85% done and stops, I waited 15 to 20 minutes for it to finish and it just hangs. This is unacceptable. Either please come out with a download that works or I will be forced to stop recommending your products. I am the owner of a forum that has 500,000 active members. I have recommended your software for the last few years. I hope you can either send me a download that works, or post one. 

• Moderators

Are you using Health Check or Custom Clean?

What antivirus are you using, and have you changed any of your firewall settings?

If you are using Health Check then try a run with Custom Clean instead.
Alternatively disconnect from the internet temporarily while you run CCleaner.
I'm trying to see if it's a connection issue, Health Check needs to connect to a couple of servers so possibly your AV/firewall is blocking it.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I have using CCleaner Pro for 2 years with this same A/V and firewall. I have changed nothing but the update of your program. If you must know I am using the latest version of Eset Internet Security. It has had no bearing on CCleaner before I updated your product, so now I really do not think that's the issue. I tried disconnecting from the internet, and it did not help at all. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling an older version of CCleaner which did work. So unless you can help me, I really hope you can, my license is coming up for renewal and if I don't have answer, I will certainly not renew. I will check back fior an answer tomorrow, Thank you for your assistance. I always using health check and custom clean. Both. I like to rid my computer of cookies everyday. 

Edited by Chameleon 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Chameleon 1 said:

unless you can help me, I really hope you can,

I'm trying to help you; which I why I need to ask the questions to try and work out what may be happening.

Everyones computer is different, with different setups and different apps, so what affects one may not affect others.

One important question there can help narrow down what may be going wrong for you - Are you using Health Check or Custom Clean?

And can you give us a screenshot of when CCleaner 'stops at 85%' we can often a lot from a simple screenshot.

I have using CCleaner Pro for 2 years with this same A/V and firewall. I have changed nothing but the update of your program.

AV's change their definitions on a daily basis, sometimes multiple times a day.
It is not unusual (with any software) to suddenly see an issue crop up from multiple users who have nothing in common except that they are using the same AV which has just updated itself.

And just as a PS. 'The latest version' is often missleading, it's best to give the actual version number.
We found this a while back when there was an issue with Trend Micro AV - users of TM were reporting that it was up to date when asked; but there was actually a later version on the TM website that wasn't being offered to them for some reason. When they updated to that later version their problem went away.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

729654114_Esetlatest.png.e59204305feba760bbd6eaf31aa9eda7.png729654114_Esetlatest.png.e59204305feba760bbd6eaf31aa9eda7.png

10 hours ago, nukecad said:

I'm trying to help you; which I why I need to ask the questions to try and work out what may be happening.

Everyones computer is different, with different setups and different apps, so what affects one may not affect others.

One important question there can help narrow down what may be going wrong for you - Are you using Health Check or Custom Clean?

And can you give us a screenshot of when CCleaner 'stops at 85%' we can often a lot from a simple screenshot.

AV's change their definitions on a daily basis, sometimes multiple times a day.
It is not unusual (with any software) to suddenly see an issue crop up from multiple users who have nothing in common except that they are using the same AV which has just updated itself.

And just as a PS. 'The latest version' is often missleading, it's best to give the actual version number.
We found this a while back when there was an issue with Trend Micro AV - users of TM were reporting that it was up to date when asked; but there was actually a later version on the TM website that wasn't being offered to them for some reason. When they updated to that later version their problem went away.

ccleaner.png

• Moderators

Great- like I say we can often see a lot from screenshots.

Firstly your ESET seems not to be the latest version, their website says the latest is v14.2.19.0 (released on 28th June 2021)
https://help.eset.com/latestVersions/?lang=en
You might want to check that out and download the latest version from the ESET website.

Your Health Check appears to be stopping as it gets to the 'Security' section, which is the software updater.

I'm assuming that it has found some software that has an updated version, but is having problems actually getting that update.
(Which could be the AV/firewall blocking it, or a problem with the updates own website).

What you can try:

Option 1:
Run Health Check and before clicking on 'Make it better' click on the 'Security' button at the bottom right to see more about what it has found to update.
(If you could let us know what it is, maybe screenshot it, then we can tell the staff/developers that there may be a problem with it).
Untick the blue box so that Health Check doesn't try to update it, then go back to Overview and click 'Make it better'.
Health Check should then complete without trying to update that particular software.
Note that you will have to do this everytime that you run Health Check until the problem with that particular software update is resolved.

Option 2:
Don't run Health Check, run Custom Clean instead.
Custom Clean just clears junk and doesn't look for software to update. (There is a seperate 'Software Updater' for that in Tools).
You can set Custom Clean to be the default that CCleaner uses by setting Options>Settings>CCleaner Home Screen to 'Custom Clean'.

Please let us know how you get on.

You were correct, but the program (Ccleaner is updating Dropbox now every time I run Health Check), it just keeps updating Dropbox for some odd reason.  If I run cCleaner every night it will update Dropbox to the same version every night. Very odd. I will not run Health Check and use option 2. Thank you.

• Moderators

There have been another couple of reports of this repeating updating with the latest Dropbox version.

It's to do with the version numbering being recorded slightly different in Dropbox itself (and in Windows) and on the update website.
One says 127.4.4265, the other says 127.4.4265.0.0 and it's those extra two zeros that are causing the glitch.

The updater sees it as being 'higher' than the number without them and so wants to update to it, but once installed the 2 zeros get dropped and so next time the updater runs it sees the one on the update website as 'higher' again so wants to update to it again.

We occasionally see discrepancies like that with other softwares as well, the same version but a slightly different number format depending on where you look.

It shouldn't do any harm installing the same version again, but it's unecessary and can be puzzling why it's doing it if you don't spot the slight difference in the version numbers.

Most long-time users of CCleaner use Custom Clean as their preference.
It's what CCleaner was before Health Check came along, and Custom Clean gives you more control over what does and doesn't get cleaned.