Icon For "News And Interests" Reverts To A Generic Icon After Using CCleaner

This must appear a very trivial question but i feel it worth asking.

After using CCleaner, on reboot the "news and interests" icon on the taskbar reverts to a generic icon until I connect with the internet.

If i do not use CCleaner the icon for sunny, cloudy icons  etc do appear after rebooting so there is some box I am checking in CCleaner that I could perhaps leave unchecked.

Anyone know which one it is ?

Clipboard Image.jpg

• Moderators

are you also running the registry section of ccleaner or only the cleaning?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

It sounds more like a connection issue.

That service needs the internet to keep updating the news and weather.

If you have no internet connection then it can't show you anything up to date - so it reverts to the generic Icon until it can get up to date info again.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I use both the registry cleaner and the general cleaner at the sametime.

It cannot be an update issue because I have a few Windows 10 machines and if I don't use ccleaner the correct icon (as at shutdown) is displayed when I next use the machine.

A few days ago when clearing Internet Explorer in CCleaner there was a strong possibility of it being in the list of temporary internet files because I saw an entry for sunny.png . Not that I use Internet Explorer, just sometimes there are a few files in there to clean.

I am now wondering if its the Windows Explorer Thumbnail cache option. I will uncheck that option and see what happens.

• Moderators

Sunny.png could be from anything - anything that uses a sun icon somewhere.
(Google "sunny.png" and you'll see just how many different pictures use that same name).

The temporary file locations for IE are used by many Microsoft and other apps, you don't have to be using IE itself to get things put into it's temporary file locations.
(As an example CCleaner itself puts a couple of files in there when you open it).

The 'News and Interests' app uses Edge Chromium rather than IE. (Click on any of the topics in there and it will open Edge Chrome).

What I was meaning about 'updating' is that it's a news and weather app so it has to keep getting new information (updates) from the internet all the time so that it can show you the latest news and weather.
If you are not connected to the internet it can't do that, so it will just show a 'holding' generic icon until you do connect to the internet again - Which is exactly what you said:

the "news and interests" icon on the taskbar reverts to a generic icon until I connect with the internet.

It can't show the current temperature/news if it can't ask the internet what it is. So it doesn't know whether to show you a sun, cloud, or rain icon.
Once you do connect to the internet again it can 'update' its information and change the icon to show what the current weather is.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043