Memory

Jbert49

I just built a new system, and put 1 stick 8GB dual channel. Speccy reports it a single channel. After investigating I found out, MY ERROR. Most motherboards will report odd number of memory sticks as single channel. So may I assume if I add 8GB more, same memory, correct slot it will report Dual? And if that is correct adding an extra third would not be wise.

1 hour ago, Jbert49 said:

So may I assume if I add 8GB more, same memory, correct slot it will report Dual?

yes. if your motherboard supports dual-channel. you must put the 2 sticks on the right slots... to activate "dual-channel"

for example:

RAM-Slot 1 + 3

RAM-Slot 2 + 4

you must read it in your manuall for your motherboard how its managed. or simply tried it.

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

And if that is correct adding an extra third would not be wise.

yes, a 3. RAM-Stick for "dual channel" is not fine.

but a 4. RAM-Stick (if your motherboard have 4 slots) is nice.

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

Most motherboards will report odd number of memory sticks as single channel.

its possible, that "dual-channel" will be deactivated if you have installed 3 sticks of RAM in your MB. but i dont know exactly, i dont have tried it

I just built a new system, and put 1 stick 8GB dual channel.

mmmh. are you sure that at the 8GB stick is "dual channel" to read?

perhaps there is on the label "double sided"?

there are two completely different things meant.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, trium said:

mmmh. are you sure that at the 8GB stick is "dual channel" to read?

perhaps there is on the label "double sided"?

there are two completely different things meant.

Or it could have stated for instance 'dual rank', which also isn't 'dual channel'.

I'd recommend using HWiNFO or HWiNFO Portable (both are free) to find out.

i use CPU-Z -> also a little free tool

here the portable version to download CPU-Z v1.96 zip (3,2 MB Size)

the downloadpage:

https://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.96-en.zip

unzipp the file -> go into the unzipped folder and start the file "cpuz_x64.exe"

click on the tab "Memory" -> under there you see if your RAM is dual channel or not

ccleaner cpuz.JPG

On 12/07/2021 at 20:50, Jbert49 said:

So may I assume if I add 8GB more, same memory,

interessting info to this:

if your cpu have "intel flex-memory-access" the size of your RAM-Stick can be different

Intel® Flex Memory Access

The Intel® Flex-Memory-Access enables easier memory upgrading, since modules with different memory sizes can be used and the two-channel mode is retained.

i mean your newer (intel?) cpu have this... if this a (amd) cpu also have, i dont know.