Ccleaner and Windows 10

Compactfox

Sometimes Ccleaner acts up in the Windows 10 environment and can be hit-and-miss. I have my options set for 'Clean Browser on closing with notification' using Chrome. Everything is up to date but most of the time Ccleaner will clean the browser but no notification, and sometimes it doesn't clean the browser at all. I manually open the program and run it to be sure. There are other times after a fresh start in Windows that Ccleaner won't load at all, after three tries I load the Task Manager and see instances of Ccleaner listed as 'Suspended' so I cancel those instances and then it will load and run. I have been a big fan of Ccleaner for years and swear by it, but it seems like Windows is working hard to defeat it from performing properly. I hope that they can overcome the instability and make it persistent in Windows. Does anybody else notice this minor inconvenience?

• Moderators

just to get a full picture, what antivirus do you use?

Also you don't mention what version ccleaner you have; please don't say most recent as that means nothing give a version number, found at the header in ccleaner.

The other thing to check is that chrome is completely closing on exit. See https://support.piriform.com/hc/en-us/articles/204210674-Why-is-Chrome-cleaning-being-skipped-#why-is-chrome-cleaning-being-skipped--0-0

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Windows can be a PITA at times.

One thing to know is that Win 10 no longer shuts down the same way as "old" Windows did.

Shutdown no longer fully shuts down Windows and starts afresh. Instead it will 'hibernate' the Windows Kernel. (Not the same as hibernating Windows yourself which hibernates apps as well).

To get a full refresh/reload of Win 10 you have to 'Restart', which doesn't hibernate anything and gives a new launch of Windows. - That can be counterintuitive if you are used to older Windows versions.

Doing a Windows Restart every few days or so may help iron out the inconsistencies you are seeing.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 1 month later...
On 11/07/2021 at 10:03, nukecad said:

Windows can be a PITA at times.

One thing to know is that Win 10 no longer shuts down the same way as "old" Windows did.

Shutdown no longer fully shuts down Windows and starts afresh. Instead it will 'hibernate' the Windows Kernel. (Not the same as hibernating Windows yourself which hibernates apps as well).

To get a full refresh/reload of Win 10 you have to 'Restart', which doesn't hibernate anything and gives a new launch of Windows. - That can be counterintuitive if you are used to older Windows versions.

Doing a Windows Restart every few days or so may help iron out the inconsistencies you are seeing.

Aside from a work environment where you might not care about the company's PC, you'd be surprised how many people keep their PC's running 24/7 without a reboot, The same with their smartphones or tablets.

Coming from Windows 7, a new issue I came across with Windows 10 (clean install) is there is a hidden executable called "Program Manager" that hangs every 3 or so Shut Downs but for a second and half before Windows kills it during the shut down process. I troubleshooted and there's no application called Program Manager. I performed a clean install (again) of Windows and it surfaced again. Let's hope Win 11 addresses this nuance. 

Anyway, I'm not sure what you mean by "hibernate" but I have disabled hibernate using the command powercfg.exe /hibernate off