New Driver Feature Suggests Driver Downgrades W/O Justifiable Cause

RobD

On a few different machines (one now deceased failing to start BIOS even), I have run a mix of Free & Professional since the Driver feature was added as I maintain boxes for myself & family.

I have installed some updates recommended by my mobo manufacturer and windows update, for some reason at times CCleaner is suggesting downgrades to the version.

I may have non-WHQL drivers installed as stability hot fixes, when other drivers add features and cause isssues.  But it's not clear what driver versions are being advised as Win Update doesn't suggest new versions.

Right now, Driver Update is looking like a scam feature, because it's unclear what source the drivers are and the suggestions lack justification.  It's not unknown for companies like Nvidia to recommend massive downloads of driver updates only for them to refuse to install.

Many driver updates are specific to a particular model and shouldn't be installed generally, others are security fixes which should be prioritised.  As it is, it's just CCleaner's reputation behind the updates, presumably perceived as a saleable feature, but this implementation is likely to sully Piriform's hard won reputation yet further unless great care is taken.

Given the SW updater's propensity to recommend 32bit installs/updates to 64bit software which has not been fixed in  years, all users should be very sceptical.

Guest johnccleaner

We get the updates presented by the software directly from the manufacturers of the devices in question (other versions, such as offered by the manufacturer of a computer, are typically either these same versions, older versions, or close derivatives of these drivers), so the source for them is really the manufacturer of the device (for instance, Nvidia for a GeForce video card).

Of course, we understand that there are times that you would not want to move from the driver version that you're currently using - so we include the function to 'skip' versions that you do not want to update. This is available in the "Learn More" button for individual driver listings.

With that in mind, it should not be offering to update to an older version; you can report this to our support team here: https://support.piriform.com/hc/en-us/requests/new or by emailing support@ccleaner.com with as much information on you can and why you feel that the offered version is an older version what what you're making use of. We'll be happy to look into it further from there!