Version 5.82.8950 driver updater not working

Ronald Gard

Guest Stephen CCleaner
46 minutes ago, Ronald Gard said:

When I click on the icon CCleaner closes.
What is the fix?

Hi Ronald, which icon are you clicking on?

This one?

image.png

If so, can I confirm you are running Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or later?

On 17/06/2021 at 16:27, Bigeasy1302 said:

I have the same problem. Programme closes when I click on Driver Updater. The icon has a red dot in the corner so not sure what the problem is. I'm running Windows 10.

Hi Bigeasy1302:

You didn't mention if you use a Free or Professional edition of CCleaner, but osubuckeye9 reported the same issue in Two Issues With Driver Updater in the CCleaner Bug Reporting board where the CCleaner interface closes when the new Driver Updater icon is clicked, and Avast/Piriform employee Brad CCleaner suggested an install with a freshly downloaded CCleaner v5.82 installer.

User bjm_ uses the Slim build of CCleaner Free v5.82.8950 (i.e., without third-party toolbars and other PUPs sometimes bundled with the "Standard" installer, available at https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds) and reported <here> in the Norton Tech Outpost that the red dot on the Driver Updater icon disappeared after he ran an initial scan for available updates.  Note that the Driver Updater in "Standard" and Slim builds of CCleaner Free will scan for available drivers but cannot download and install available drivers unless you upgrade to CCleaner Professional.  Given the number of CCleaner Pro v5.82 users who have reported that Driver Updater either installed an out-of-date driver or installed a driver that caused a BSOD (see BenRiver's 17-Jun-2021 Driver Update Caused BSD for one example) I personally think that not having a fully functional Driver Updater in CCleaner Free is a good thing.

I can't confirm that this red dot will disappear after the initial scan for drivers since I use the Portable build of CCleaner Free, and fortunately this Driver Updater bloatware wasn't included in CCleaner Free Portable v5.82.8950 (see my post <here>).  If you want to test CCleaner Free Portable download the ccsetup582.zip file from https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds and save to any location (I normally save the .zip file on a removable USB thumb drive), unzip the .zip file, and double-click the appropriate 32-bit CCleaner.exe or 64-bit CCleaner64.exe executable to run.  The first time you run a Portable build it will create a CCleaner.ini file that stores your configuration settings. I have a 64-bit OS and use the default English interface so I normally delete all the unnecessary files bundled inside ccsetup5xx.zip except CCleaner64.exe, Portable.dat and License.txt and then copy the CCleaner.ini file I used with the previous version of CCleaner into the same folder as the .exe executable to retain all my custom settings.  Here's a screenshot of the Portable files on my USB thumb drive (E:\) inside a folder I created at E:\Portable\CCleaner after my unnecessary files have been deleted.

1082869220_CCleaner5_82PortableFilesonUSBDriveAfterCleanup21Jun2021.png.72788f3ecc5a793b7a671c400a141ded.png

Note that I'm currently using CCleaner Free Portable v5.81 and have no plans to update to v5.82 or higher until I have a better idea what Avast/Piriform is going to do about the serious bugs in this new Driver Updater feature.  If I had a vote I would prefer they remove the Driver Updater feature altogether to prevent users from installing an incorrect driver and damaging their system.
----------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v20H2 build 19042.1052 * Firefox v89.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2105.5 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.4.0.117-1.0.1318 * CCleaner Free Portable v5.81.8895
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G 256 GB NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

Hi GVK.

Like you I am using the Pro version with Windows 10. I uninstalled CCleaner using the Windows facility after making a note of my registration key from the CCleaner  app. I did a re-install of the previous version from my downloads folder registered it and then did the update. All went OK and working fine now.