Crapcleaner and Mozilla Firefox

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, but have ben using Crapcleaner successfully for quite a long time.

It is fully updated and is the new version currently.

Over the past few days, whilst running crapcleaner it flags up a message saying that I will have to close down Mozilla Forefox, otherwise crapcleaner will skip that cleaning process, and it has an OK option.

My Moxilla Firefox browser IS closed and exited completely as far as I am aware.

I click OK on the message and crapcleaner continues, but I see no Mozilla or Firefox references being deleted..............I did before. So I'm assuming it doesn't clean any of the Mozilla files.

I have not as yet re-installed Crapcleaner, though that was going to be me next option.

Any clues?

boswell

Hello boswell again,

Apologies for the post but I have just found a reference to this problem on another post and I have as advised on that one to run control-alt-delete and sure enough I found a Mozilla Firefox entry as one of it's pages had "hung".

I removed it and problem solved.

Please therefore to prevent clutter on your forum can the administrator just remove my post if easier.

Best regards,

boswell

When keeping Firefox open for a very long time, doing lots of browsing, a really big amount of memory is getting allocated (but mostly paged out into the virtual memory). When FF closes, it may take up to several minutes to have all this virtual memory freed (you may see the HD LED blinking for a while after closing FF).

This is why FF actually stays active for a while, and you see that (correct) message from Ccleaner.

When keeping Firefox open for a very long time, doing lots of browsing, a really big amount of memory is getting allocated (but mostly paged out into the virtual memory). When FF closes, it may take up to several minutes to have all this virtual memory freed (you may see the HD LED blinking for a while after closing FF).

This is why FF actually stays active for a while, and you see that (correct) message from Ccleaner.

Well you learn something new everyday :)

Is this a bug with Firefox?

I don't know about "several minutes", for me it might take a minute or 2, but I've tweaked Firefox a little to keep the memory usage down. My mem usage (look in the Task Manager > Processes tab) usually runs 40,000 to 60,000 k, the highest it gets is a little over 100,000. If yours is getting upwards of 200,000 k, you could have a memory leak, usually caused by extensions.

It's not exactly a bug, but a consequence of the fast forward-and-back navigation feature that was introduced in v. 1.5. This keeps recently-visited pages in active memory, the number varies according to how much RAM you have. I reduced mine to 2, where by default it would have been 5. You can read how to do that and other tweaks, and track down memory leaks, here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Reducing_memory_...e_%28Firefox%29

Don't trust tweaks you see on other sites, many of them are bogus, some can cause you real problems.

It's not exactly a bug, but a consequence of the fast forward-and-back navigation feature that was introduced in v. 1.5. This keeps recently-visited pages in active memory, the number varies according to how much RAM you have. I reduced mine to 2, where by default it would have been 5. You can read how to do that and other tweaks, and track down memory leaks, here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Reducing_memory_...e_%28Firefox%29

Thanks, very useful info.

You're welcome, glad you think so.

To me, the logic of that feature seems to be flawed. I mean, Firefox has tabs! If you need to be navigating back and forth between a number of different pages, just open them all in tabs. It was based on a study by Google of how the average Internet user navigates, but of course, the average user is using IE!