New question

ocx

Hey Guys, I have a question I installed today CCleaner, deleted several stuff, I always keep my Windows updated, and Noticed that after cleaning with CCleaner all the updates that used to show under add/remove programs "show updates" files are gone, does CCleaner deleted my Windows software updates? or somehow just removed the "updates" from that list? thanks

welcome to CC onx!

at the top of the add/remove, there is a "show updates" box that you can tick off.

Yeah, thanks for the Welcome, I know I can tick that off, I was just wonder if my Windows updates I downloaded before that doesnt show there anymore were deleted or just removed from that list all those "kb***" updates from Windows update site, are gone lol, just wonder where they are

and btw, is it safte to remove whats inside this folder?

C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download

not sure whats in that folder.

if you want to zip it and attach it ill look at it or you can just let me know what it is.

they werent deleted or removed.

for instance, if you didnt have any of those updates now and you updated windows, it would install EVERY ONE OF THOSE UPDATES.

not sure whats in that folder.

if you want to zip it and attach it ill look at it or you can just let me know what it is.

they werent deleted or removed.

for instance, if you didnt have any of those updates now and you updated windows, it would install EVERY ONE OF THOSE UPDATES.

Yeah thats right, I went to Windows update site and everything was ok, didnt ask me to download anything at all.

And about that folder well, the size is 246 mb so zip it may not be an option, ill keep searching what does that folder store and if its secure to delete or not, Thanks alot.

lookd at mine and it seems ok to erase.

im not sure if yours contains different information though.

i would say no because you may risk corrupting something.

its not that big so why would you want to delete it?

The uninstallers for the updates were removed.

All the updates are still on the computer.

Nice. yeah I noticed that, and I gotta say this tool really works saved me almost 1 GB of space and fixed many issues on my registry, also my computer reboot way much faster, Thanks.

and btw, is it safte to remove whats inside this folder?

C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download

That folder seems to hold two types of files/folders.

1. Temporary folders and files for Microsoft updates that, if successful, self-delete 10 days later. I don't know what happens if the installation is not successful.

2. Supplemental Microsoft Licenses (these will be small, e.g., 12 KB, and can be opened using Notepad) for stuff like the Malicious Software Removal Tool. These persist. You can delete them but the ones for regular downloads, e.g., the MSR Tool, will be replaced next time you download so it's futile.

Here is a question about removing Windows Installer patches and packages:

I was able to successfully remove the NTUninstaller files to create much needed default-drive space.

Here is a query, though:

There is a hugh amount of space being taken up by the directy

Windows/Installer/

I have the latest installer at this time (I believe), with 3.1 reportedly installed.

However, there are a lot of 'packages' (*.msi) and 'patches' (*.msp) in the folder.

It looks like, according to this MS KB article that one can "now remove patches that are installed with Windows Installer 3.0 if they are marked as removable in the patch package. Patch removal enables the patched program to be returned to the state that the program was in before the patch was applied."

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=884016

humm....

Can I move the patches out of the 'system/default' drive, and just put them back if they are ever needed? [Perhaps this belongs in the New Features board, but maybe not, if it cannot / should not be done ...